NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a 1966 Ponitac GTO, specially designed for the Monkees TV show. Each Monkee received a replica of the one used in the show, i'm not sure if any of them still has theirs, but I have heard of one showing up at car shows and the like. I remember when my folks came home with a 1966 Ponitac Lemans, which was similar to the "Goat" I was in love with that car! Being 11 or 12 back at that time, the only thing I go to do was dream.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I loved the Monkees when I was a kid, and I lovedlovedloved the Monkeemobile! :party:

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Was that a George Barris design?
I know he did the original Batmobile, and my personal favorite car, the General Lee. Along with many others for TV shows and films!

*EDIT*
Just visited Barris' webpage. It was in fact one of many from him
Right when you asked that I was thinking it was! I too loved watching the Monkees. :D Never seen the Monkeemobile in person though.

·
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right when you asked that I was thinking it was! I too loved watching the Monkees. :D Never seen the Monkeemobile in person though.
Joel, I am prolly the oldest living Monkeemaniac on Earth! They just ended (9 shows shor) their 45th anniversary tour. I read some wonderful reviews of the tour. One thing they added they didn't have when I saw the 3 times in 2001 was a large screen behind them with clips of their show. The thing about the Monkees, is their 19886 20th anniversary tour was the top selling tour for the year. I read in many places their populartiy was equal to or better than the original debut in 1966. :cool:

·
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is strange. I clicked on Barris website, and there, among all the other ones, is the Monkeemobile!! All my life, I have said Dean Jeffries was the creator/designer of the Monkeemobile. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it confirms!

The Monkeemobile is a modified Pontiac GTO that was designed and built by designer Dean Jeffries for The Monkees, a pop-rock band and television program. The car features a tilted forward split two-piece windshield, a touring car T-bucket-type convertible top, modified rear quarter panels and front fenders, exaggerated tail lamps, set of four bucket seats with an extra third row bench where the rear deck should have been, and a parachute. The front grille sported the GTO emblem.[1][2]

Now is this weird?
Contents [hide]
1 Origin
2 The car
3 Later years
4 References
5 External links

1 - 7 of 7 Posts