NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would the original Monsoon AM/FM receiver and tape deck suddenly go silent with the digital screen first showing "SAFE MODE" then going to the number "1000?" It did this more than a year ago when I had a Scan Gauge II hooked up to my OBD II port, and kept doing it until I unplugged the Scan Gauge, but the local VW Dealer's Service Dept. couldn't see how that could be causing it. I eventually ended up getting a new antenna base which cured my AM reception problems that I was having and I rehooked up the Scan Gauge about 3 mos. ago, and everything worked fine until the Monsoon went into this "SAFE MODE" and "1000" today, but then started receiving fine again after I had the Monsoon shut down for a couple hours. However, any idea what could be causing this? The Scan Gauge is still hooked into my OBD II port, but, like I said, the local dealer ruled this out as a cause....:confused:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have had an Ultra Gauge connected to my 2003 GLX Convertible for some time and have never had this happen with my Monsoon system.

Seems that the Monsoon system is somehow loosing power?? Did you have to enter the security code back into the radio to get it out of Safe Mode?

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Monsoon unit does that a couple of times a year, goes into SAFE mode, that is. I just enter the 4-digit code and it fires right back up again.
I just turned the car off for a couple of hrs. whilst I was at the local "Y" and it worked normally all the way home and again, tonight, when I turned it on, so maybe it's just your "couple times a year" thingy? Say, where do I find or get that 4 digit code so's I can enter it the next time this happens. Would it be located somewhere in on of the sections of my multi-section owners manual?

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard that there's a sticker somewhere in the owner's manual that has it. My car didn't come with a manual, but my local VW dealership gave ime the radio code while I was in there for an unrelated repair. Apparently it can be referenced with the VIN. I think most dealers would charge for that info, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I've also heard that there's a sticker under the spare tire with the four-digit code on it, but I've never seen that either. I found a sticker, but no code.

There has been a person here on the Org that has looked up codes using the VIN in the past, but I don't remember who it is.
Thanks! I'll look into it. :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pop open the fuse box on top of the battery and check for discolored and/or melted wiring.

Do not know this is your problem, but it is a common issue that you can easily check and rule out as a possible cause.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts