VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the monsoon radio with the trunk mounted amp. Radio works OK but will need replacing soon..... My question is this, the tear speakers rock, the door speakers are very low volume, I understand they are woofers (right) but there is almost no sound. The dash speakers don't work at all, or are very weak also, but the tweeters in the pillars work good. Could this be the amp, or are my speakers shot?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
It is very common; for the door speaker suspension surrounds, to be blown (missing) and this will make them (very) quiet. You might replace them with used ones from a junkyard, ebay or look on websites, like Crutchfield for a similar size speaker.
I would test all the speakers but the front door speakers, are usually the ones that blow.

Possibly #4; in the diagram:

http://parts.vw.com/parts/2001/Volk...cleid=206925&diagram=9210730&diagramCallOut=7

Volkswagen part #: 1J0035411G

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had an idea from the 80's I might try. Back then most speakers were paper..... when one would get punctured, our torn, we would use nail polish to glue paper over the tear, or hole. Then coat it with rubber under coating to reinforce. Im thinking cheap Radio Shack speakers.... They make some small enough for the dash location..... then spray plastidip, or spray in bed liner over the paper. Same for the door.... Repair, and coat in rubber spray. Cheep, and should last until someone makes a set that fits the dash and door....lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts