NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh great and wise New Beetle forum, lead me in the right direction again!!!

I went on ebay and bought a used monsoon cd head unit and after calling a local dealership for the radio code, I finally installed it this weekend. To my dismay, I pop in a brand new cd and I get a "CD ERR" on the display. Disheartened by yet another setback on my bug, I scour the internets about what could be the problem. Compressed air was the only recommendation. I tried that this morning - nada. I even tried one of those laser disc cleaner cds with the brushes attached to it - no dice. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this, I'd appreciate it. I want to try and remedy the situation before I return it (it has a 30 return policy). Thanks!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I would probably just return the unit.

Sounds like the laser may have gone in the unit or sometimes condensation from the vents above the radio leaks into the units.

Most of the better ebay sellers will provide the code with the unit.

Not sure if you purchased a newer CD player that plays MP3 CD and will support Aux in? All head units from 98-2010 I believe are interchangeable. Just make sure you get a Monsoon head unit if you need one. The newer head units have MP3 on the front display.

I updated mine from a decent ebay vendor, paid a fair amount, however, it had the security code, supposed to have updated gears for CD eject and some other common failure items corrected.

I then added an Aux input cable for a whooping $8 and will be adding OEM Sirius for about $100.

When I am all finished I will have CD/MP3 head unit, current has 6 CD changer in the console, Aux input with Belink Bluetooth handsfree and A2DP to play music from my phone, Pandora or other online music, and OEM Sirius.

Short of NAV, which my Droid can do quite well, a nice up to date system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts