NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Debs here!
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a factory sound system (monsoon) on my 2003 beetle. I love it so far. I have had distortion in the right front speaker. I thought it was busted but have noticed that it only does it on some songs(maybe 1). As my bug is still under warranty..the dealership said that they would cover it. I have an appmt next week for this and my mirror defrosts. They advised me that the sound system would be hooked up to something like vagcom? and it would tell what is happening. I had no idea they could do this for soundsysem. Also CD player reads error on slot #5and 6 sometimes. Anybody have any warnings or advice for the Monsoon soundsystems? I know there are some "haters" out there, thats okay!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Yep... VAG-COM (and VW's dealer scanner) can "see into" the OEM headunit. I'm not sure how accurate any codes the headunit might throw would be, but I know you can definitely play with settings and clear code in the headunit. I'm guessing that they aren't actually stored in the headunit itself, but in the "audio" section of the main ECU's memory.

As far as the Monsoon system... no... no problems. I actually love mine. It's probably the best factory audio system I've ever had. There are some that look down their nose at it... which is their right. But it's just fine and dandy for what I want out of a car stereo.

The distortion you're getting out of your speaker could be a couple of different things. The speaker could be going. This typically begins to affect only a particular range of the speaker... and will eventually grow until everything you play will have the same distortion (or the speaker cuts out all together).

But the more likely culprit is actually the mounts, grille and batting they use for the speaker. These things tend to resonate with a specific range of notes, making it sound like distortion from the speaker. Sometimes this can be solved by pulling off the door panel, tightening the mount, and repacking the speaker in higher quality (stiffer) batting. There's some stuff that's supposedly guaranteed not to resonate... but I can't think the name at the moment.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I remember I use to hate on the Monsoon (right Carl?) until when my drivers went (supposedly they did, I have my doubts...oh well, new speakers were put in), I had VW install Dynamat before they put the new speakers in. BIG difference. I then got a subwoofer, and I am now the happiest camper out. My system does all I need it to do and then some. My advice would be to install some Dynamat or similar sound-deadening material around the speaker...it'll cancel out any resonance and make a world of difference. :)

As for the error codes, a dealer's scantool can tell you what's up with that.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Steinola said:
Dynamat! That's it! Thanks Justin... I was pulling my hair out trying to remember the name of it ;)
Come to think of it, I forgot the name too, and then I saw that I had a little bit of it in my closet. :)

They make a kit specifically for door speakers, it's precut, and it costs about $30 or so. That's what they used in mine. :)

·
Debs here!
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the information. I have noticed that my CDs sound very good, radio pretty good, but cassettes are pitiful. I guess that is due to the sound quality of the cassettes and not my player? I did have much better sound with cassettes in my pickup truck.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
marvins_dad said:
For one the Monsoon system has an amp...I think it has a couple more speakers, but can't remember exactly what the stock system had.
The Monsoon system does have two more speakers, in addition to the amp... but the total number of speakers depends on whether we're talking about a hardtop or a 'vert.

The hardtop with standard (non-Monsoon) headunit has 6 speakers.
The hardtop with Monsoon headunit typically has 8.

The NBC with standard (non-Monsoon) headunit has 8 speakers.
The NBC with Monsoon headunit has 10.

Go figure.

At least, those were the set-ups in 2004 when I bought Kermit. 2005's and 2006's might vary somewhat.

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
oh ok, so chances are that there is no difference between head units. I guess the only difference would be the extra speakers and amp that comes with the monsoon system.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Antoine-

AFAIK, the ouputs are speaker-level, and if I can get a hold of a non-Monsoon deck, maybe I can figure out if it'll work. :)

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
The non-monsoon decks have a built in little amp and connector on back for an "amp hookup", which some people who add amps to it buy the little blaupunkt connector that plugs right into it. But AFAIK, the monsoon decks dont have the built in amps that the non monssson ones have because of the external amp. As to why monsoon and non-monsoon decks are not swappable.

Adding better speakers definaltely adds to the sound clarity and definition of the system. Although higher quality speakers are harder to find for the monsoon added speaker sizes, IIRC, the added midrange on the dash is 3.5".

The cd changer error seems like the cd changer probably has gone bad, or maybe just a loose cable.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Crazy_MoFo said:
oh ok, so chances are that there is no difference between head units. I guess the only difference would be the extra speakers and amp that comes with the monsoon system.
Ah... no... the headunits are different too. You can't use a non-Monsoon headunit in place of a Monsoon one or vice-versa... which you would be able to if the decks were actually the same internally.

One has line-out for the amp, one has amp'd out.

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
I remember when I did my line-outs that the non-monsoon could use the Blaupunkt line out adapter, but they didn't know about the monsoon ones...well, I purchased one - 'cause they were cheap and it is true...the line out blaupunkt adapter did not work on my monsoon head unit...but the power on lead did. So I used the power on lead and ended up doing the line level outs instead.

So there is a difference in the line-outs on the two heads.

Here's the monsoon diagram...don't know if anyone has a non-monsoon, but would like to have it for the Tech Library.
http://dehon.org/antoine/newbeetle/NewBeetlePDF's/vw.nb.wd.45.pdf

·
9,487 Posts
Okay, now i'm confused. I thought that the amp out on the back of the radio was what he monsoon amp plugged into. So it uses the same plug as the speakers do on the non monsoon. Soo, does the monsoon deck have line level output going though to the amp or speaker level output? I thought i saw once that a monsoon deck had no heatsink on it to cool the internal amp (as to why i said that they dont have one). Now I'm confused a bit. Can anyone verify that the audio output on the monsoon decks are line level only?

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
The Monsoon amp is located in the trunk...not on the unit.

I believe, and I'm sure I will be corrected, that the outs on the head wire to the amp and then the speakers get their wiring from the amp as with most aftermarket.

There IS however an additional output on the back of the monsoon head that say "AMP" and it also appears on the non-monsoon. On the non-monsoon you can get an adapter to work as line-outs...but there isn't any connections on the monsoon heads.

Confused yet?:confused:

Here is the line out adapter that fit older non-monsoon's that I purchased and only the on-remote worked on the monsoon.
http://www.continentalimports.com/f00e500014.html

Check this old thread...
http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12393

Attachments

·
9,487 Posts
I was confused because i thought that the monsoon deck used the amp connectors i saw on the back of my non monsoon deck to connect to the monsoon amp. (that's aloota monsoons)

So, the speaker output on the back of the deck goes to the monsoon amp to get amped to the speakers, i know that, i just thought that the output from the deck came from that smaller connector in hte monsoon system. So does the output on the back of the monsoon deck give line level or speaker level?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts