VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bugger Since 67
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new CD changer and wanted to mount it in the trunk where I thought there was already a mount. Turns out the Monsoon stereo amp is in that mount! Where can I mount the changer?

·
Registered
758 Posts
For the Vert the CD changer is in the armrest as mentioned above.

If you have a 2007 head unit, if it has the Sat/Aux button, the CD player should play MP3 encoded CD's which can hold like 150-200 songs.
In 2016, MP3 CDs qualify as "old school".

I'm always reluctant to adopt new tech, but this is an area where I have done so. No the radio won't be "stock" anymore, but the original head unit was draining the battery in our NBC so...

In our NBC I installed a Pioneer head unit with a USB input. It interfaces with our old iPod Video as well as all of our iPhones (supposedly it will work with Android also, but I've never tested that). Using the iPhone, you can play songs on the phone or stream music using whatever app you want (like Pandora, Spotify, YouTube, and etc.). If you hit a song you don't like, you can use the controls on the radio to skip a song, so you don't have to fumble around with your phone while driving. The USB connection also charges the iPhone while driving. It's really quite nice. Cost was about $120 from Crutchfield, who throws in all the dash adapters, wiring adapters, and etc. to make it work. Installation was about an hour long job.

In my 1991 Ford Crown Victoria, I have an aftermarket cassette deck (which is about 15 years old) that has a line level aux input on the back which I use to feed audio from my iPhone to it. This set up is not as elegant as a modern head unit with Bluetooth or USB, but the sound quality is quite good (light years better than FM radio). The upside to the cassette deck is that no thief in 2016 would ever try to steal it, which is a good thing since the door locks on the Crown Vic don't work anymore.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Standard CD's quality for "Old School" in 2016, so this is why I at least mentioned the MP3 option.

I like to keep the audio systems pretty much stock looking and can tweak them pretty good.

I have Bluetooth hand free speaker phone with audio through the system speakers, A2DP, and a 1/8" line input on my upgraded stock system.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/58487-7-90-aux-input-newer-head-unit.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts