NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen this type of thing in other forums. I will pick a subject/topic of the month, and the assignment would be to go out and photograph your interpretation of the subject/topic. Then posts the pics up for all to enjoy. No Rules!

For example, this months subject could be Orange, in celebration of Halloween or the Fall colors.

Other possible subjects or topics could be:

Leading lines
Natural letters (find a tree that looks like an "S" or similar)
Black & White
Trash
Repeating patterns
and so on....

The goal of this would be to get out and just take a good look at our surroundings. For example, how often do you go to a grocery store and not look at the ceiling? (When I was growing up, I used to go to a local convience store for nearly 15 years before I finally looked up!)

I will entertain any ideas for the monthly assignments as well!

I am going to wait for a few days to see what peoples thoughts are on this. (That and I don't have a example photo yet!)

Possible assignments (In addition to the ones above.)

One of these things is not like the other

Out of place

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fowvay said:
I like it :bigthumb:

I just wish I could get out more... I have a feeling that will be my downfall in being able to compete... but ya never know. :)

Compete? Whachu talkin' 'bout Tom? :p

It's not a competition, just a reason to take photos and share your own interpretation of the assignment. If you don't get out much, see what you can find in the house.

For example, for a "leading lines" assignment, you could put a soda can on the edge of the kitchen counter, back up away from the can, set your camera on the edge, and then use the edge of the counter to create a line that leads your eye to the soda can. Make sense?

Or how about the Orange assignment? You could take an orange and put it in something you don't usually see an orange in, like a big nasty boot or something.

It will just take a bit of imagination!

Make better sense now? :D

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i think it sounds like an awesome idea. i am always looking for new things to photograph. the challenge is getting outside to do it instead of taking photos inside my apartment.

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fowvay said:
Interesting ideas...

I really should sign up for a photography class one day. I do enjoy it and have a lot to learn.. this sounds like fun.

Tom aka Fowvay

Ps... I like to compete :p

Well...Compete on!

Someday when I have a bit of free time, I would like to do a few threads about the basics of photography. Things like Shutter speeds, Apertures, compositional rules, etc...

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
jdesigns said:
Someday when I have a bit of free time, I would like to do a few threads about the basics of photography. Things like Shutter speeds, Apertures, compositional rules, etc...
oooooooooooh, i would love that. i think i asked you about aperature in another thread. no wait, it was ISO. :confused:

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
I'm in---------will be great to see everyone's pic on the same subject matter.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I like this idea! I took some photography classes in college.

My four favorite assignments were:

• A National Enquirer type photo. Something that could be misleading, or "faked". I did a time lapse photo in my dorm room, and had someone show up in a sheet to give that "see through" affect, to give the appearance that my room was haunted.
  • Motion - Either stopped motion, or something in motion. I made a dummy, and had someone throw it out my dorm window, to catch the dummy in mid-air (stopped motion).
  • Texture. Just any type of picture that shows some texture.
  • A photo that has meaning to you. For this one, it wasn't necessarily a great photo to anyone else, but that caught a special moment for you. I actually submitted a picture a buddy of mine had taken of me as I was moving my Grandmother's original Beetle. While I hadn't taken the photo, he didn't have the settings on the camera right, so the picture came out exposed HORRIBLY! So it took a LONG time of playing around with the developing of the picture to even get it to come out. So the photo itself meant a lot because I loved my Grandma, and her car, and took the extra time to get that picture developed.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
callisto9 said:
i think it sounds like an awesome idea. i am always looking for new things to photograph. the challenge is getting outside to do it instead of taking photos inside my apartment.
I could photograph some trash around the house :)

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Other possible ideas for assignments:

Hot
Cold
Bent
Night Shot
Reflections
Time
Sound