NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone
wanted to if you can put moon hubcaps on the stock steel wheels and if there is how would you go about it

thanks for any answers

2001 red beetle GLS

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
first off, I made a stand off to put under the rivet so it would mushroom out. what I did was find the center of the wheel and then I measured the inner diameter of the hubcap. after that you evenly space out 5 marks for the rivets on the wheel within the diameter of the hubcap. I drew a circle in pencil to mark the diameter and then I drew circles to mark the rivite/clip positions. you then drill out the holes. I started with a smaller drill bit to get the hole started and then I drilled it out. I bought the rivit adn clips off of wolfsburgwest along with teh rivet tool. I think I got the hubcaps from ebay. I'm sure this process should work for any clip on style hubcap like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
first off, I made a stand off to put under the rivet so it would mushroom out. what I did was find the center of the wheel and then I measured the inner diameter of the hubcap. after that you evenly space out 5 marks for the rivets on the wheel within the diameter of the hubcap. I drew a circle in pencil to mark the diameter and then I drew circles to mark the rivite/clip positions. you then drill out the holes. I started with a smaller drill bit to get the hole started and then I drilled it out. I bought the rivit adn clips off of wolfsburgwest along with teh rivet tool. I think I got the hubcaps from ebay. I'm sure this process should work for any clip on style hubcap like that.
OKAY I was totally just told by a hubcap dealer that I could not put baby moons on my stock rims (same ones you have pictured) - so you made them compatible by just adding those little clips? Do the hubcaps stay in place? Can you fit the ring trims that normally go with baby moons on too or no? I want to create the look in the attached picture (different colors though) - and do not want to have to buy expensive smoothie rims if it can be helped at all - baby moon hubcaps are just $50 for a set of 4 where I live :) Any more detailed directions would sooo helpful - I am new to all of this :) Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Back in the old days, I used to substitute small flat-head countersunk screws, installed from the inside, with locking nuts on the outside.
The countersunk heads allow them to sit flat, so they don't offer any interference.
It's easy and if a clip were to break, replacing it is a breeze.

It's also possible to remove the clips if the later decision is made to change/delete hubcaps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts