NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took out a curb with two tires and wheels. Now in a parking lot, but dark, no glasses, but couldn't find a tool/wrench to take off the round lug nut covers. Best I could see, it looks like an allen, guessing metric, 5, 6, maybe 7 MM. Need to know if so, or if it's a special wrench for when I go back in the morning with a second tire and wheel to change them both. Thanks.

M.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
I shoved a flat head screw driver in the hole in the center at a angle and popped them out when I had a flat.

Once I scratched my head and played around with the first one and got the rhythm down, all the others just popped out in seconds. It literally is just a piece of plastic molded to the shape of the lug nut - slides on and off. Just shove anything at a angle or with a bend or hook on the end and it'll pop right off.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had to go and look at mine. I have never taken the Tires off, the shop always has. Mine are alittle different. Mine have little plastic clips and don't fit the lug nuts that tight. I had to use the screwddriver in th spare tire kit to pop one off. there was no special wrench in the kit to get them off. I don"t have a owners manual so I had no instructions to look at.:cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
OK I found the tool. If you have a compleat tire changing set. Next to the jack handel is a slot. In there is a key with a hook on it. Stick it in the center hole and pull strait off. The hex holes are fake. Only for looks, I took my big metric set out and could not get anything to fit. I always wounderd what that little key was for.:) Only the security lug nut has the cap with the plastic clips.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody! Especially for going to look at yours, or the pics. Of course the little hook tool isn't there! But knowing that they pull off will be solution enough to that. Caught the curb HARD. Hard enough to put a sharp, BIG, "-^-" crease in the outer edge of the rim (front), The rear, no damage to the wheel that I can tell, just took out the tire. More this morning when I get back there in the daylight.. So, what is going to be the check for the strut, or something else, being bent? I'm assuming it will only show up on the alignment machine if it is beyond "shimable"?

M.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Hopefully your spare has air. It was a sad feeling when I realized my spare was just as flat as my regular tire :(

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Those darn curbs, jumping out in front of you like that! :mad:

·
Registered
867 Posts
On mine, the top inside edge was rubbing on the strut. The tie rod was bent too. The steering wheel was no longer centered.

I needed a strut, tie rod and 2 tires, ended up replacing all the struts and shocks, tie rods and bushings, and of course 2 tires.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully your spare has air. It was a sad feeling when I realized my spare was just as flat as my regular tire :(
The spare was good, but had never been on the car, so I went and pulled two 16s off my '02 that is down anyway. Found one directional had been running backwards! (lol) efen tire shops! Anyway, both are on the Bug, gotta have Momma take me to get it. First time I used "the kit", what a joke, esp the scissor and fold up crank handle.
OK I found the tool. If you have a compleat tire changing set. Next to the jack handel is a slot. In there is a key with a hook on it. Stick it in the center hole and pull strait off. The hex holes are fake. Only for looks, I took my big metric set out and could not get anything to fit. I always wounderd what that little key was for.:) Only the security lug nut has the cap with the plastic clips.
No tool in my "kit", but there was a plastic "u" shaped thing in the '02 with little tabs that you force down each side of the caps, tabs pop out and and then pull the cap right off, the wire hook thing would not pull symetrically and I bet ultimately will tear up the cap. The part is OEM. I'll post a pic when I get the camera out later.
Those darn curbs, jumping out in front of you like that! :mad:
Actually it was a stupid move, used to cars with a LOT more power, add a little night blindness, glasses off, and an a-hole who was determined NOT to let me over, coupled with a little too much testosterone.
On mine, the top inside edge was rubbing on the strut. The tie rod was bent too. The steering wheel was no longer centered.

I needed a strut, tie rod and 2 tires, ended up replacing all the struts and shocks, tie rods and bushings, and of course 2 tires.
Haven't driven it yet, gonna drive it home and then take it up to the tire shop tomorrow, and have the direction 16 turned around so it's at least running the right direction. Wasn't a high curb (looked at it today), but with 17s, not much sidewall to take the impact. Took out the rear also (sidewall), but just curb rashed the wheel a little. It's going to go in the trunk as the spare (assuming it fits - awfully wide). I'll put up a pic of the destroyed wheel in a bit. TG it didn't damage the red inserts, and I'm only going to be out the cost of two wheels, and won't have to deal with the rare red inserts. The tires were do anyway, so...

Thanks all for your concern and comments.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks. That only added to my concern, but I needed to see it.

I'm hoping the severe damage to the wheel is NOT an indication as to other damage. No visual, but the steering wheel is a little off center, maybe 1 o'clock (but for some reason I think it was that way before). Some wierd vibrations at various speeds and conditions, BUT I'm dealing with two old tires, both that have been sitting for almost two years (no doubt flat spots), and one of which was nearly flat until I inflated it to use temporarily. Both directionals, and the later had been and is now being, run backwards, so I don't know if there may be some internal separation. Both 16s and I'm running 17s on the other side. Also looked, and I have a small bubble in the sidewall of the other front. Going to get two new wheels and four new tires on it before I go spending a lot to get everything checked. Couldn't even do an alignment with the set up the way it is now.

M.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts