NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ImageUploadedByAG Free1379085434.765698.jpg

Would someone be able to tell me what this is? It looks like a thermostat to me but I thought those were elsewhere. I found a rabbit in my engine bay this morning, and I'm pretty sure he snacked on this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,057 Posts
I believe it is the secondary coolant temp sensor for the cooling fans. You have two approaches to the repair; repair what you have or replace the wiring with new parts.

Repair preexisting wiring:

You could try to solder or use butt connectors to repair the remaining broken wires; as it is... the break looks very close to the the terminal ends, so that might be a challenge but you could do it for now, until you get the correct parts to repair it correctly with replacement parts from your VW dealer. I ended up removing my terminal ends from the plug/connector; so, it was easier to solder them and re-installing them back in the plug/connector, to complete the repair (if you do use solder; make sure to use heat shrink tubing to seal/protect the repair).

New wiring/replacement terminals/wire:

If you go to your VW dealers parts dept, they will have yellow colored "repair wires" that will come with the terminal ends already crimped. Each wire; when cut, gives you two terminals.

1. cut the new repair wires with terminal ends (then you have two)

2. remove the old terminals from your plug/connector (requires a terminal removal tool or make your own with a paper clip)

3. push back the locking tabs on the terminal ends inside the plug; push out the old terminals/rubber sealing plugs

4. install the old sealing plugs on the new repair wires

5. use heat shrink sealed solder-less butt connectors to connect the new/old two wires together or solder the new wires to the old cut off wires; then use heat shrink tubing to protect the solder/repair (be sure to install the heat shrink tubing before soldering). If you use the heat shrink connectors; crimp the connectors and use a heat source to shrink/seal the butt connectors.

6. install the terminals in the plug and push in the sealing plugs back in the plug and you have completed the repair.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts

hope this helps.

-jd

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all very much. I did get it fixed. Dad came to the rescue and helped me solder everything up and heat shrink it (I suck horribly at soldering. My hands are too shaky)

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
View attachment 107737

Would someone be able to tell me what this is? It looks like a thermostat to me but I thought those were elsewhere. I found a rabbit in my engine bay this morning, and I'm pretty sure he snacked on this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
OMGosh... these rodents are a menace!! I hope you can get it fixed quickly and easily.

I have 2 wild rabbits that always take naps under Buglet, I have to make sure they are not there every time I get in the car so that I don't accidentally run the car over them. The little buggers are very tame and will let you walk up to within 3 or 4 feet of them. I bet they will start chewing on things before long *sigh*

·
Registered
14,057 Posts
Glad you go it fixed!

Round cars; did you take it to the dealer or fix it yourself. If you did the repair; how did you approach the repair, fix old wiring or replace with new? (Solder, crimp etc.)

Here is a example of the VW spec connectors and the yellow repair wires from VW:

.35mm² and .5mm² sized wires Volkswagen part #: 000 979 940

1.0mm² sized wires Volkswagen part #: 000 979 941

000 979 940 and 000 979 941

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Glad you go it fixed!

Round cars; did you take it to the dealer or fix it yourself. If you did the repair; how did you approach the repair, fix old wiring or replace with new? (Solder, crimp etc.)

Here is a example of the VW spec connectors and the yellow repair wires from VW:

.35mm² and .5mm² sized wires Volkswagen part #: 000 979 940

1.0mm² sized wires Volkswagen part #: 000 979 941

000 979 940 and 000 979 941
My repair was done at the stealership back in May of 2012. Just days before T.O.D 5!! I was crunched for time they also snaked my sunroof drain holes that were COMPLETLY clogged (trunk,headliner and carpet were wet) :(

Didn't want to miss T.O.D. 5 :D

They used a new pigtail with wire crimp connectors and electrical tape for the repair.

·
Registered
444 Posts
For anyone who is having problems with rodents chewing their wiring, here is a great remedy. I am an auto detailer and have come across this problem on a few occasions from clients, which tells me its happening all over. One of my friends with a Miata convertible replaced wiring three times! Then, while working for two different clients with expensive sports cars, I came across this remedy. Both these guys were cutting up pieces of "Irish Spring" bar soap which is available pretty much anywhere, and placing pieces both in the engine compartment, the back seat and in the trunk. Apparently the rodents don't like the smell or taste or both. I recommended it to my friend with the Miata and she hasn't had any trouble since. Good luck! ;)

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
For anyone who is having problems with rodents chewing their wiring, here is a great remedy. I am an auto detailer and have come across this problem on a few occasions from clients, which tells me its happening all over. One of my friends with a Miata convertible replaced wiring three times! Then, while working for two different clients with expensive sports cars, I came across this remedy. Both these guys were cutting up pieces of "Irish Spring" bar soap which is available pretty much anywhere, and placing pieces both in the engine compartment, the back seat and in the trunk. Apparently the rodents don't like the smell or taste or both. I recommended it to my friend with the Miata and she hasn't had any trouble since. Good luck! ;)
It's too bad CRAYON SMELL doesn't have that effect on rodents :mad:

:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts