NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.... I had Ylello's rear brakes done about two months ago to the tune of close to $1000. :( I figured it would be high but was not expecting that. I was told it was because only VW calipers could be used.

Well, just in time for Christmas, my front brakes are ready to be replaced.

I wish I knew someone who could do it outside of using a garage, but unfortunately I don't, and we don't have access to a lift or any way to do the job ourselves.

Do you have to use the VW parts? If so, is there a cheaper way to get them? And assuming I need brakes, pads, etc..what is a reasonable price to expect if I have to call around? I am not taking it back to where I went before.

I am located in Central NJ if that helps.

I love my Ylellobug but she has cost me more than I spent on her in this year I have had her. :(

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Ouch!!!

This is what I am running on my car.

Amazon.com: Power Stop K899 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive

Even though the rears are already replaced you could still swap and upgrade to these or you can just purchase the front only.

Power Stop K898 Front Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Brand new calipers from ECS are only $100 each

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T Braking Caliper

Its no more than a 2 hour job to do this plus some brake fluid.

So for around $375 parts, plus worse case $200 labor, this would be probably on the high side?

You could get rotors and pads a bit cheaper than the power stop as well. I think OE pads are close to $110, but will last 80k miles if the calipers are working properly.

Verify part application before you order anything to make sure everything is correct for your car.

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. I do have a mechanic I trust, but I could not get her to him this last time and ended up taking her to PepBoys, who went across the street to the VW dealership and bought the calipers. :mad: I know that was a lot of the price.

The fronts seemed fine, but I heard grinding the other day when I was driving home from work, so I have not driven her since..don't want any more wear than needs to be on there before they get replaced, but I also can't afford another 1000 right before Christmas. But sharing one vehicle sucks so I have to bite the bullet and get them done if I can.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
The only reason to replace calipers is for a seized piston or a torn seal (and even that can be replaced). Rear calipers push/twist in for new pads, fronts simply get pressed in. A brake job takes me an hour, and pads and rotors are very inexpensive. And, they (and calipers) are available at ANY parts store. Even Pep Boys ;)

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
2001 GLS. Should be interesting, that's the model we have.

POWER STOP Part # K839 {#BK596752} Performance Brake Upgrade Kit; Incl. 10.98 in. Silver Zinc Plated Cross-Drilled And Slotted Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Pads; Sensor Wire Included as Part of Front Pads; Hardware Included
Front
That's $110.00 plus shipping for both rotors and pads.

For just basic?

POWER STOP Part # KOE839 1-Click; Incl. 10.98 in. OE Replacement Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Pads; Sensor Wire Included as Part of Front Pads
Front
Just for the basic daily driver. That will run you $74.79 for both rotors and pads.

And each caliper IF NEEDED would be: $ 58.79 plus $ 15.00 core charge (which gets refunded upon receipt of your old parts)

At the risk of getting shouted down by the "FanBoys"? No--you do not have to use VW's own brand of calipers from a dealership. Good lord that hacks me off when I see people pull that crap. Yes it's better to use brand new calipers when needed. But sometimes the budget won't allow. Here's the dirty secret: Most of the time you do NOT need calipers replaced with a brake job!! That's the shop building up the ticket price because you pay list price for the parts, and not the cash price you would pay if you walked into and AdvanceAuto or Autozone, or even the better (sometimes) choice of NAPA auto parts!

Case in point as I'm rolling on a rant here: One of our company mini vans went to a well known brake shop. He needed pads and rotors only. (expect rotors to always get replaced with a brake job--most of the time they are so thin off the shelf they can not be correctly machined.) The brake shop replaced the calipers at a charge of $250.00 EACH! So a simple brake job on a mini van? Hit about $850?!? Now I know the mini van's quite well, because I used to do brake jobs on them all the time. Looking at maybe 5% to 10% of the time I found the caliper hanging up internally. The rest of the time? The piston retracted normally, cleaned up great...and functioned normally after the brake job.

Sometimes yes you'll need to replace the calipers. (And if you need 1 side? Do 'em both to maintain equal braking)

In short, for just pads and rotors as a 'Kit'? The price isn't to bad. Find a decent "Mom and Pop" type auto repair shop that isn't scared of the "VW". If they supply the parts? Expect to double the cost of the parts as you'll pay list price. (they take the risk of the warranty if they supply parts--If they install your supplied parts? They will not warranty anything other then their labor)

I may not know a lot about VW Beetles at this point, but I am very well versed in brakes. If you need a hand with anything? Please ask away!! We are always here to help!

S-

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Again, make sure you check the exact fit, not sure what engine the OP has but with all the engine and trim combination in these cars, there are a LOT of differences.

Cannot believe how many engine codes these cars have.

Also you can go cheaper than the Power Stops, probably as low as $90 for rotors and pads.

I found rear rotors for under $10 for my car, but decided there was NO WAY I would rely on rear rotors that cost less than $10 to keep me or my family safe.

I figured I would go with the Power Stop 4 wheel kit and I have been very happy with it.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I hear that with the engine/trim codes!

Thankfully this is one time I looked at RockAuto for car parts for a forum member and didn't have to wade past several engine and trim packages. RockAuto's normally my first stop when price shopping for items. (As a side bar note: We ordered in NGK plug wires for engine code AVH. The local stores wanted over $110 for it. RockAuto? About $60 bucks with a small shipping charge)

As always, buyer beware! Most of the dirt cheap rotors and pads are made from our recycled metal over in a China shop! Now I'm not saying all products from China are bad--as let's be honest, most replacement parts come from that region. But I'd not go that cheap on a brake rotor either. The 'kits' seem to be well thought out. Of course you can always head over to your local auto parts house and ask what they can offer. Their prices may be a bit higher then net ordering, but the warranty would be a "local" one should there be any issues.

S-

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I hear that with the engine/trim codes!

Thankfully this is one time I looked at RockAuto for car parts for a forum member and didn't have to wade past several engine and trim packages. RockAuto's normally my first stop when price shopping for items. (As a side bar note: We ordered in NGK plug wires for engine code AVH. The local stores wanted over $110 for it. RockAuto? About $60 bucks with a small shipping charge)

As always, buyer beware! Most of the dirt cheap rotors and pads are made from our recycled metal over in a China shop! Now I'm not saying all products from China are bad--as let's be honest, most replacement parts come from that region. But I'd not go that cheap on a brake rotor either. The 'kits' seem to be well thought out. Of course you can always head over to your local auto parts house and ask what they can offer. Their prices may be a bit higher then net ordering, but the warranty would be a "local" one should there be any issues.

S-
I couldn't agree with that last part more... if there are 2 things I would never cheap out on, it's tires and brakes.

I did an entire bigger brake upgrade for less than $700. I can't believe they charged you that much just for calipers. (Why did you need calipers anyway?? People rarely need new calipers for a brake job.. as mentioned before..)

I don't blame you for wanting to save money after how they bent you over like that, but you get what you pay for. I'd at least get the mid-level brakes. OEM brakes are decently priced and a good, safe option. (Just don't buy them from the dealership!) The front brakes are a lot easier to replace than the rears, might save a little on labor. I dunno.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
brakes

Most economical brake job is to do it yourself.

front brakes are one of the simplest things to replace. Just make sure you get semi-metallic pads to avoid access brake dust. The pads Shouldn't cost you no more than $80 bucks at your local parts store. Calipers really don't need to be replaced unless they're leaking or the piston is seized. You can also have the rotors turned/machined fairly inexpensive too. If you can't do your own repairs I would consider getting rid of the car because it's gonna become a money pit for ya, sorry to tell you but it's a fact.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I wouldn't turn an OEM rotor. They wear a lot faster after you turn them.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I wouldn't turn an OEM rotor. They wear a lot faster after you turn them.
The main issue with turning a rotor? Back in the late 1970's during the fuel crunch car makers started cutting any weight they could. The less material? The lighter and CHEAPER it was to make. So your average rotor will have a listing of min thickness. In most cases now'n days? It'll be almost sitting on top of that min thickness when you purchase it new!

S-

·
Herbie's Nurse Dude
26 Posts
Most economical brake job is to do it yourself.

front brakes are one of the simplest things to replace. Just make sure you get semi-metallic pads to avoid access brake dust. The pads Shouldn't cost you no more than $80 bucks at your local parts store. Calipers really don't need to be replaced unless they're leaking or the piston is seized. You can also have the rotors turned/machined fairly inexpensive too. If you can't do your own repairs I would consider getting rid of the car because it's gonna become a money pit for ya, sorry to tell you but it's a fact.

I hear you. I am learning to do my own because a $100 a month average in service fees suck. I have a good reasonable mechanic that knows my car well(used to be his car) but still, I was hoping a VW would be better. My VW 2.0 1999 GLS has 158k miles on it.

Herbie's Nurse Dude

1 - 12 of 12 Posts