VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect my over 180k miles motor mounts are worn. Quite the vibration when under 1k rpm idol.

I was considering putting time sert threads into the aluminum motor mount as I had a bolt strip another bugs bracket once before. Question is, do I use the new tty bolts or do I get steel to go with the new strengthened steel time sert?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
That would be your call, those TTY bolts can get expensive. For the vibration check your dogbone mount underneath the engine. I just replaced mine, the aluminum was all eaten away and the vibrations were incredible. I couldn't see the damage until I removed the entire mount.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be your call, those TTY bolts can get expensive. For the vibration check your dogbone mount underneath the engine. I just replaced mine, the aluminum was all eaten away and the vibrations were incredible. I couldn't see the damage until I removed the entire mount.
Awesome suggestion. I have a brand new one of those lying around and that's the easy one to replace. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
If the dogbone replacement doesn't fix the vibrations check the CV axles those also cause vibrations when they are starting to go bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts