NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my recently purchased 2000 2.0L automatic New Beetle. 167k miles. Working through issues I believe to be motor mount related. In reading I discovered that "stretch" bolts are used in this installation. Not sure I totally understand "stretch bolts" so...

Is every bolt in each of the MM a stretch bolt? If not which ones are stretch bolts and must every stretch bolt be replaced? Recommended good source for OEM style Motor mounts and bolts (not looking for racing or preformance just daily driver OEM)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Mounts

I just replaced my mounts & got the whole kit of 3 mounts off eBay for $80-90. The stretch bolts? Go read the article posted here in the 2.0 section titled; timing belt by bad Russ if you want to learn about stretch bolts.

·
Registered
821 Posts
So a stretch bolt is torqued to a given value , say 90flbs and then it’s given an additional 1/4 or 1/2 turn. That partial turn stretches the bolt very minutely, this locks the bolt in place so it does not back out. When you loosen one of these bolts the bolt after being removed now has been weakened. If you reuse the bolt it can break and allow your engine to fall or sag in the engine bay.

https://www.idparts.com/front-engine-mount-bolts-bracket-bolts-set-a4-p-1129.html

Complete front mount set these folks specialize in diesels but I believe the mounts are the same between gas and diesel

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Nah

So a stretch bolt is torqued to a given value , say 90flbs and then it’s given an additional 1/4 or 1/2 turn. That partial turn stretches the bolt very minutely, this locks the bolt in place so it does not back out. When you loosen one of these bolts the bolt after being removed now has been weakened. If you reuse the bolt it can break and allow your engine to fall or sag in the engine bay.

https://www.idparts.com/front-engine-mount-bolts-bracket-bolts-set-a4-p-1129.html

Complete front mount set these folks specialize in diesels but I believe the mounts are the same between gas and diesel
Not really unless you re-stretch it again. I reused mine to see how they would hold up and will show ya in 5 months how they're holding up on my motor mounts.I'll post a picture. So far no issues since Dec.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I had the auto trans rebuilt in my previous bug. (a 2002). I know for a fact that the shop did NOT replace the stretch bolts. About a year after, the trans literaly fell onto the suspension below. 2 of the 3 bolts were gone, and the one remaining was half way out, and bent like crazy.
I fought like a bugger getting that (and the subsequent mounts), out. Retapped holes. Went down to Fastenal, and picked up 7 new HARDENED, (not stretch), bolts to replace them with. Nice stainless washers, and lock washers to boot.
It was going in , and STAYING in. LOL.

Now, on my 2013, I"ve had a clutch and diffy replaced, and I kinda think they (the shop), replaced the trans mount bolts.

In the meantime, I've replaced all the motor mounts/trans mounts. I did NOT replace the stretch bolts. I DID however, blow out holes, and looked for any sign of obvious stretch/tweaking. I put them all back in, and torqued them. I did not do the additional turn/stretch on them.
And, trust me, I BEAT the hell out of my bug. (I just call it aggressive driving/racing).. LOL.....

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I had the auto trans rebuilt in my previous bug. (a 2002). I know for a fact that the shop did NOT replace the stretch bolts. About a year after, the trans literaly fell onto the suspension below. 2 of the 3 bolts were gone, and the one remaining was half way out, and bent like crazy.
I fought like a bugger getting that (and the subsequent mounts), out. Retapped holes. Went down to Fastenal, and picked up 7 new HARDENED, (not stretch), bolts to replace them with. Nice stainless washers, and lock washers to boot.
It was going in , and STAYING in. LOL.

Now, on my 2013, I"ve had a clutch and diffy replaced, and I kinda think they (the shop), replaced the trans mount bolts.

In the meantime, I've replaced all the motor mounts/trans mounts. I did NOT replace the stretch bolts. I DID however, blow out holes, and looked for any sign of obvious stretch/tweaking. I put them all back in, and torqued them. I did not do the additional turn/stretch on them.
And, trust me, I BEAT the hell out of my bug. (I just call it aggressive driving/racing).. LOL.....
Sounds like the right way of torquing those motor mount bolts of u re-use them, good job.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Honestly I hope you guys don’t regret reusing those bolts. I have a bunch of used ones laying around they look perfectly fine but I can’t bring myself to use them again.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
No regrets yet.

Trust me. If it's possible to break them, I will.
Over 400 ft lbs of tq, and 4 grand drag launches, plus subsequent high rpm shifts, WILL put these used bolts to
the test.
And, it's not that I"m cheap. Hell, I've spent TOO much (according to my wife), on the car, as is, but still.
To me, it just seemed silly to replace bolts, just because VW said to.

Maybe if my car was older and had more miles.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Trust me. If it's possible to break them, I will.
Over 400 ft lbs of tq, and 4 grand drag launches, plus subsequent high rpm shifts, WILL put these used bolts to
the test.
And, it's not that I"m cheap. Hell, I've spent TOO much (according to my wife), on the car, as is, but still.
To me, it just seemed silly to replace bolts, just because VW said to.

Maybe if my car was older and had more miles.

Time will tell.
I agree, vw puts those statements there not to open themselves to liability lawsuits. Thejarhead, I will let you know how it turns out. I used the same concept on my CV axle center nut that's torqued to i believe 160 flbs, and it's still good with no issues, and that was 5 yr ago.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Nah

Not really unless you re-stretch it again. I reused mine to see how they would hold up and will show ya in 5 months how they're holding up on my motor mounts.I'll post a picture. So far no issues since Dec.
Update on this topic. Hate to stirr up any trouble but here is the update with pictures like i promised back 11 months ago of my motor mounts i replaced re-using the same so called stretch bolts with no issues. As you can clearly see in the picture i printed the date and marked the bolts to see if there was any movement....... no issue so far.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts