NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
<--Not a self portrait.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once or twice while driving my Beetle, I have nailed the throttle in 2nd gear. Just short of redline, I would attempt to shift to 3rd. I would then run into a major problem, I couldn't find 3rd! I would then have to go back into 2nd and while not accelerating as hard, shift into 3rd. Not good!:(

Could the above scenario be remedied with motor/transmission/pendulum mounts? I did a search on the old forums, but did not come up with a straight answer. I know that VF Engineering makes several mounts for the NB, but they are slightly more expensive than I thought they would be. Also, I read that Prothane makes mounts for the NB, but was unable to find any prices or model numbers. Finally, ECS Tuning makes a Polyurethane Mount Mount Kit, that is much less expensive than the VF Engineering mounts, but seems to be only the bushings. Which of the three options do you feel is best? Is a set of mounts even something to look into? Would you suggest doing the mounts before or after a short-throw shift kit?

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Engine mounts are used to reduce wheel hop and stress on modified engines producing more power.

What you are describing sounds more like misaligned shifter cables or a problem with the transmission.

·
<--Not a self portrait.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
paultakeda said:
Engine mounts are used to reduce wheel hop and stress on modified engines producing more power.

What you are describing sounds more like misaligned shifter cables or a problem with the transmission.
I hope it is not a problem with the transmission. I am relatively new to driving a stick-shift, so hopefully the above experiences were due to my ignorance and nervousness. So if I am keeping my engine mostly stock, is it still worthwhile to do engine mounts?

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
If the engine is stock, you don't need new engine mounts, though some might argue that it helps a little if you try to drive aggressively.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I have a Yarrowsport MK4 solid race pendulum (sp?) engine mount. I won it in a raffle. My engine is basically stock, but the mount i have is the most insane mount i've ever seen (read: no rubber or urathane or anyhting). The car shifts soo much more solid, it's just insane, and i think you gotta be insane to use it in a daily driver (i am totally insane). The engine also sounds much louder and stronger. You feel like your driving a hot rod at times if heavy acceleration. You really feel like your one with the car. There's a pic of it in my pic thread.

I know that this post dind't help at all. Just showing another option.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I used to miss 3rd all the time. It may be a coinsidence but after I installed my short shifter and new motor mounts it's a very positive engagement. Since then I havn't had any problems with it goiing into gear. I bought the mounts from ECS Tuning. They are worth the 35 bucks. If you get them only install the two bigger ones. If you install the round ones you are prone to get more vibration transfered to the cab.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Changing the dog bone mount or stiffening it will help shifting. Stock is all good for smooth and Miss Daisy driving, but agressive or hard driving and the motor and trans move to more extreams and makes it harder to find gears. With a stiffer mount there is less flex and therefore the tranny stays in almost the smae place all the time and gears are easier to get into. You can go extream with VF or EIP mount or as simple as the Autotech upgrade bushings for the dog bone, just be warned there will be noticable cabin vibration. I have tried the upgrade mounts and the VF mount and I am happy with the VF mount. I would be tempting to try the VF side mounts but I think it would be too extream and too stiff for everyday driving comfort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts