VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started pulling my daughters blown 1.8T yesterday and broke a plastic elbow that is above the oil filter. Can anyone tell me what this part is? Maybe even a part number. Thanks in advance.
Hood Light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

· Registered
2,115 Posts
See my avatar picture? Pull the front fenders and bumpers as a unit. Remove the radiator and ac condenser, then disconnect all the various hoses and wiring clips, being careful to label whatever you’re unsure of. Then attach your engine lift and raise the engine about an inch, loosen and remove the motor mounts. Lower the engine onto the legs of the engine lift and slide it right out the front, transmission and everything.

You can’t believe how much easier that is than trying to use a shoehorn to get that engine out and then back in especially if you detach it from the transmission and leave the transmission in the car.

I’m not as familiar with the gas engine I only have diesels but I believe that’s an air pump.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See my avatar picture? Pull the front fenders and bumpers as a unit. Remove the radiator and ac condenser, then disconnect all the various hoses and wiring clips, being careful to label whatever you’re unsure of. Then attach your engine lift and raise the engine about an inch, loosen and remove the motor mounts. Lower the engine onto the legs of the engine lift and slide it right out the front, transmission and everything.

You can’t believe how much easier that is than trying to use a shoehorn to get that engine out and then back in especially if you detach it from the transmission and leave the transmission in the car.

I’m not as familiar with the gas engine I only have diesels but I believe that’s an air pump.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I have labeled everything and took pictures as I am going. Even if I know what it is. The mind is not as sharp as it once was. Something about getting old.

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Most vw parts will have a vw part #; imprinted on it and you can search online or the vw parts site, to see what the latest part # is.

From what i can tell, this part; is the elbow, on the pcv breather system. The original vw parts are expensive but you can buy oem parts for less. I used a combo of oem, aftermarket 034 Motorsports silicone and Gates hoses, to make a affordable, durable replacement option.

www.parts.vw.com

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Mor hose info and links:

· Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have labeled everything and took pictures as I am going. Even if I know what it is. The mind is not as sharp as it once was. Something about getting old.
Ha Ha, I need to do the same. When I changed my radiator, I took lots of pictures and labeled parts and screws in baggies as a I went because I knew it wouldn't get to put it back together right away. Otherwise it would have been a bear figuring out which screws were for bumpers, brackets, etc.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha Ha, I need to do the same. When I changed my radiator, I took lots of pictures and labeled parts and screws in baggies as a I went because I knew it wouldn't get to put it back together right away. Otherwise it would have been a bear figuring out which screws were for bumpers, brackets, etc.
I am putting my screws in a fishing lure tote and labeling what they came out of and putting dividers so I can keep it all together. I am only getting a couple hours at a time on Saturday’s. Maybe I’ll have it done by the end of November lol

· Registered
26 Posts
I started pulling my daughters blown 1.8T yesterday and broke a plastic elbow that is above the oil filter. Can anyone tell me what this part is? Maybe even a part number. Thanks in advance. View attachment 255705
Its part of the PCV valve ... go to a junkyard and pull the part yourself .... mine was cracked, I pulled the part and the guy asked if I would pay a dollar for the part .... I said yes and went back to get the rest and was charged five dollars.

Good Luck ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts