VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't like the large red hazard switch in the middle of my dash, does anyone know if an earlier year center dash panel would fit and allow me to install a hazard switch back in the center dead button below my ac knobs? I have Stability and rear defrost buttons, and one dead button in the center. Also, does anyone know what was available to go in that slot or is it just dead because they moved the hazard switch?

I have a 2005 GLS TDI

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really don't like the large red hazard switch in the middle of my dash, does anyone know if an earlier year center dash panel would fit and allow me to install a hazard switch back in the center dead button below my ac knobs? I have Stability and rear defrost buttons, and one dead button in the center. Also, does anyone know what was available to go in that slot or is it just dead because they moved the hazard switch?

I have a 2005 GLS TDI
I'm pretty sure they left that middle slot dead ever since they moved the hazards up between the vents. I wish mine was up there, when I shift into 3rd, sometimes I turn my hazards on accidentally, I do have big hands though, but, even in the 1999 Car Of The Year review, they commented on that, saying one of the testers did that a few times, maybe why they moved it? I'm sire if you got a new vent cover without the button, and replaced the blank with a hazard switch it would work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am okay with that concern, I am going to install a short shifter kit and then hack my shift lever off a little lower anyway. So, I probably won't get near it. I just don't like the look of the hazard button and airbag off/on light in the middle of the vents.

If you would like to trade panels, I could ship you mine for yours?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I don't like the looks of it between the vents either, I also think that where the switches are normally is a bad spot and looks like an after thought. That whole area just wants to attack my knee and is 80% why the cup holders are useless

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am okay with that concern, I am going to install a short shifter kit and then hack my shift lever off a little lower anyway. So, I probably won't get near it. I just don't like the look of the hazard button and airbag off/on light in the middle of the vents.

If you would like to trade panels, I could ship you mine for yours?

Probably not, thank you though. Mine is a little scratched up, and I think you have the chrome around your vents right? Mine is just black. #oldbeetleproblems

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is also just black, no chrome or silver. It has some minor scratches, but it's not bad. I can take some pics if you want. I don't care about scratches on the one I install because I am going to sand it down and have it painted glossy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts