VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made the decision this summer to let my air cooled VWs go. A '71 Ghia and '71 Fastback. After 14 years with the Ghia and 8 with the Fastback, it was time to move on. Kids, work, life, etc. I just wasn't able to put enough into them to make it worth it any more.

But that doesn't mean I could let my VW addiction go. After searching for a few months for the right car for me right now, I am finally in possession of a 2007 New Beetle Convertible. Laser Blue with a tan top. It will be fun to have a car that has little things like air conditioning and heat for my daily commute (an antiquated concept with my air cooleds).

Looking forward to spending time here learning the ins and outs of these cars. Thanks in advance for your expertise and patience.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome to the world of H2O!
Appreciate you keeping the old stuff on the road as long as possible, make sure to buy a VAG-COM if you want to have the same level of comfort in the digital world. Gives you codes that take you to the components, from there a couple of decades of your air cooled experience helps get it fixed.
And a few winter time tips to help you adjust to some of the subtle improvements:

1. Now if you smell exhaust gas when you turn on the heat you instantly recognize it as a problem- and not just proof that the heat is actually working.
2. If it feels like you've lost bladder control, its just the heated seats, turn them down from "5".
3. You can take your windshield scarper for the Inside of the window off the string around the mirror- the defrosters actually work.

Enjoy the new vert- put down the top today and enjoy all the heat!

·
Registered
488 Posts
You can love them both, I still have my air cooleds , I like my New Beetles as well - if you maintained the old ones, the NB is a snap once you get acquainted .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I loved my air cooleds, but the rustic nature was tiresome living in an urban area where my ten mile commute takes 45 minutes to an hour. The heated seats have already proven quite enjoyable on the NB. I haven't yet had to use a towel to wipe off the inside of my windshield. Maybe I'll go back to an air cooled someday, but for now, this is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Love Em Both!

Don't give up on the air cooled all the modern comforts and speed and stopping power of the new h2o cars are nice!! but NOTHING beats a little air cooled therapy on the weekends:D

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Yup...you CAN love them both :p
Here's my 73 super beetle in all its holiday glory!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts