NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 beetle convertible with a monsoon sound system - no CD player. I've tried to play my mp3 player using a cassette adaptor. It works once then I can't get it to work again. The system will play cassettes. The cassette adaptor will work in other vehicles. I even bought a second cassette adaptor and the exact thing happened. I really don't want to replace the radio. I like keeping the the factory installed equipment. Anyone have this problem or can offer an inexpensive solution? Thanks:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cassette adaptor

Yup and yup. I checked to make sure tape is pressed...there is only one way to put the tape adaptor in and I even try fast forward to get it to the other side 'just in case.' I do notice that the word "metal' shows up small on the radio screen when the adaptor is in. I can hear the white noise waiting for the mp3 to play. I jiggle the jack and can see the mp3 is playing by the minute/second count on the player. I've pumped up the volume on both the player and car. Then I hear the white noise even better but no mp3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cassette adaptor

I think you are correct. The contact problem must be in the car cassette player since the adaptor works in other players. The mp3 works with the adaptor in other players. An Ipod attached to the cassette adaptor will work in other players but not in the car. SO, all leads to what you stated - contact inside the car player. Anyone know if that is an easy or even possible fix? I guess if it is $$$ I can always go with one of those adaptors that play through the radio:(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes that is very odd. This is precisely the reason that I gave up on tape adapters. I haven't ever had even one that didn't produce some type of problem. Is there a possibility that the head inside the player is dirty? Though I guess that would just degrade the sound quality.

I didn't get the chance to mess with the stock one in my car as the idiot that owned my car before me stuck a tape in there and then decided to use pliers to attempt to extricate the tape.

·
Registered
349 Posts
not sure if this helps, but when i use my tape adaptor the radio says "TAPE" not metal.... it might be worth your while to invest in an fm transmittor instead of using the tape deck...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go buy a CD player from the dealership. They're on clearance right now. I just bought 2 of them for $70 each.
I wonder if I could just buy another head unit from the dealership, but one with an auxiliary jack? Would a newer head unit just plug and play into the setup for my current Monsoon head unit w/6 disc-changer? I have an '02.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts