VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Yeah...that's a pretty complicated way to describe it...but to calculate fuel economy it takes 2 fillups. Make sure you fillup to the same spot each time (more important for diesel owners...not so much for gas). Take the # of miles you used for that tank and divide it by the # of gallons you filled up with for tank 2.

1 - Fill up car to the top, reset trip-o-meter
2 - Drive car
3 - Fill up car
4 - Divide miles on trip-o-meter by # of gallons

You are correct that speed kills your mpgs. 55 to 65 will get you the best mpgs...over 70 will really hurt ya. I set my cruise on 65 on the freeway.

The main killer of mpgs though are accelerations and idling. So if you can anticipate stops and keep your momentum going that will help you. If you can take roads where you will keep your speed up and have less stops and starts and lights...that will help as well.

Anyway...good luck.

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Fowvay said:
I'm not an idiot and understand that higher rpms and aerodynamics play a big part of the fuel economy game but even though I knew that, I was still stunned to see that it made that big of a difference. That being said, to me its just not worth the extra mpgs to be bored stiff on the highway by setting my cruise at 60mph. I like to drive fast and am satisfied with my mpgs.
No offense to you at all...but I believe this is the mentality of most people which is why manufacturers couldn't care less about efficiency. We still get sold on the driving experience and all the things we could do with that SUV. But we complain like all get out when the gas price jumps. :rolleyes:

Sorry... /rant

I'm loving my TDI and my 45mpg driving it however I want. So no complaining here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.