VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
When I had my Miata I would hang out on www.miata.net. I constantly saw people bragging about what great milage they were getting in thier cars.

The Miata (at that time atleast) was usually a second or third car and therefore driven mostly in traffic free environs and often on back roads by most people. I drove mine daily and had a 22 mile commute with lots of stop and go traffic.

They claimed to be seeing 30mpg on a regular basis and as high as 37mpg on road trips. I struggled to see better than 26mpg.

That was untill we decided to take the back roads all the way down to Tennesee from Cleveland. My average speed dropped from the mid 80s and low 90s to around 50mph. My gas milage went thru the roof. I went from 26mpg to 38mpg on that trip. I was flat out amazed.

I'm not an idiot and understand that higher rpms and aerodynamics play a big part of the fuel economy game but even though I knew that, I was still stunned to see that it made that big of a difference. That being said, to me its just not worth the extra mpgs to be bored stiff on the highway by setting my cruise at 60mph. I like to drive fast and am satisfied with my mpgs.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
jpdeuce said:
No offense to you at all...but I believe this is the mentality of most people which is why manufacturers couldn't care less about efficiency. We still get sold on the driving experience and all the things we could do with that SUV. But we complain like all get out when the gas price jumps. :rolleyes:

Sorry... /rant

I'm loving my TDI and my 45mpg driving it however I want. So no complaining here.

I get between 28 and 29 mpg setting my cruise at 85mph. I'm pretty darn happy with those numbers.

I am a huge diesel fan as well and love playing the high mpg game in them but I also like to have a car where I can drive like I want, have all the power to spare for doing some serious passing etc. I'm tickled pink to have a car with 229hp & 275lb/ft torque that still gets nearly 30mpg on the highway. I have always favored cars that get big MPGs and still provide me with a fun driving expierence. I guess thats why I love VW's so much. :D

I'm hoping to add a TDi to our ever growing stable in the not too distant future (summer 2006). I really miss being able to brag about those crazy MPGs, but after having some real bhps underfoot. I don't think I can give up my plaything either. So I guess I will just have to own more than one New Beetle. :D

Tom aka Fowvay

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.