NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. We registered here a few years ago bust lost touch so now we are back...

Anyways... last night on the drive from Brussels, BE to Cologne, DE we were getting 23mpg, going an average of 80mph.
I've always thought the Beetle was getting some pretty crappy gas consumption lately but this sort of confirmed it.
I was wondering if anyone else with the same engine (ours is a 2000) is having the same outcome?

I did a quick search on Google just now and found an old car report on the car when it came out saying it should get 25cty/31hwy.

And lastly, I did notice last night that at 80mph the RPMs were just over 3500...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
no longer use this site
1,594 Posts
80 MPH isn't the most economical speed. at 80 mph you are probably turning close 4k rpms. 3k rpms is where the efficiency is.

get it chipped and the mpg will imporve, check your tire pressures and bump them up a couple of psi. check regular maintenace items too. check, gap or replace and gap your spark plugs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had thought about the psi, I might give that a try.
Not sure what the gas mileage has been like driving through the city as the wife mainly uses it but will keep an eye on that.
Might also try giving the spark plugs a look during the pre-Summer tune up.
Thanks for the help.

·
2,646 Posts
That MPG sounds about right for going 80 MPH. I averaged 27.5 MPG over 94K miles with a 1.8T in mixed driving--rarely did I see 70 MPH, much less 80.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Last night I figured mine got about 22 miles per gallon...but most of my accelerations are in 2nd gear...full throttle up until 4500-5000 rpms, and then after that I cruise at 72 mph. My tires are always fully inflated at 40-42 psi. I'm trying one tank full driving conservatively shifting before 3500 to keep it around 3000. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
I think I got around the mid 20s in my 1.8, going no more than 70ish. In germany I got high teens to low 20s due to going 80+ and a lot quicker acceleration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts