NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took a bit of doing, and we ran into many roadblocks, but it's finally done. A full stainless 3" turbo back. It sounds fantastic. As soon as the YouTube soundclip goes live I will post that, but for now here are some
Pictures :) ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832484.967341.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832519.616823.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832550.900931.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832565.001368.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832579.267642.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832592.233799.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832602.934118.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832615.817469.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832626.017179.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832636.300270.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1372832646.833773.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
After hearing and seeing the video; sound VERY loud but VERY free FLOWING! :)What was the cost; from what I can see you have a high performance cat and a magnaflow exhaust muffler. Is it so loud; because there is no resonator? Please tell us more; about the plan, what problems you ran into and how everything turned out in the end! I've thought about getting a new exhaust many times; so many of the high end brands are thousands of dollars, definitely a killer on such a small car and so little material used. Good job and here is to "doing it yourself"! Certainly, one of those things; I have not thought of attempting myself but after seeing this, makes you wonder! :)

APR; is a classic case; of a brand that takes the full exhaust into the $1500 plus range for a exhaust system; definitely, would give you impetus to make stuff yourself! :)

http://www.goapr.com/products/apr_exhaust_mkiv_3.html

PS: does Wyoming have pretty lax; exhaust decibel laws? LOL! :cool:

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol there is almost no such thing as the EPA in Wyoming. Lol. We can do pretty much whatever. I could have ran no cat if I wanted to. But as far as cost it was about $500-600 for everything from amazon. The tube was $12 a foot, and I used about six feet. The multi bend piece was $70, the bungs were like $3 each, cat was about 110, muffler was about 90, the flange and flex pipe were about 40 each. Plus buying a bottle of gas for my friend to tig weld with, and the filler rod. So it was about 1/3 of the cost. As far as problems went we broke three of four of the studs off if the turbo taking the cat down for the final time for the last test fit, so we had to drill out the holes and tap them to take bolts, because we couldn't find metric studs on short notice. We also had to cut off a couple welds and redo them because we lined them up wrong. Definitely take the time to do all your mock ups and to them right. Double and triple check everything. And the down pipe was difficult due to the odd bends in it. But it's finally done and I am glad we did it.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
Wow yeah that's loud. I have a 3" turbo back myself, but I have a resonator. Its a 42 Draft Designs setup. Not nearly as loud, but the power improvement is very, very noticeable. At idle, its actually really quiet. The only issue I had with my exhaust was that my mechanic had to have it back a time a two to get it situated well. It kept hitting things under the car and rattle. Now its perfect. A 3" setup is definitely worth it. Awesome that you could make one yourself! We had the exhaust on our '84 Jetta turbo diesel custom made. The whole thing was cheaper than just the parts that were pre-made from various vendors. And its exactly what we wanted.

Billymade, you can always search around for a used setup. Mine is. And it works just fine. The only downside is the exhaust tip is dirtied up from being used, but I can probably just snag another from 42dd if I wanted. At this point, I'm just happy with the deeper sound and better power response!

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's really not actually terribly loud at idle. Its actually pretty quiet on the interstate too. It's definitely louder but not terrible. I also have a leak at one of the o2 sensor bungs because it doesn't have one in it. Lol. I'm going to add an a/f sensor and we figured that we may as well just put it in now. I have the bolt, just a matter if summoning the will to get under there again. Lol.

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
After listening to your second clip; I can definitely, hear the "droning" that everyone seems to complain about! I would assume that the addition of a resonator would cure this? I guess when you are paying upwards of $1500 for a system; you are paying for all the r&d work; adjustments for sound, lack of droning etc. etc.

What other mods have you done to your beetle; I can hear a louder diverter sound or blow off valve of some sort... I have heard, that a bigger exhaust/down pipe can increase this sound as wll. Any info appreciated! :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
I need to get some sound clips of mine. You can barely tell I have a different exhaust when I'm at idle. Very, very quiet outside. I don't have much droning now. I did before the last adjustments made by my mechanic. I think the drones were more from the exhaust hitting the car. They had to grind some of the rear beam down for it to fit without rubbing. I definitely hear the turbo more. I really like the larger exhaust. Turbo spools much easier, so power is much more available. I can easily pass in 6th on the highway now, where I had to downshift before. I just need to get a Stage 2 tune on mine now...high flow cat = P0420 code. Tune will take care of that :)

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After listening to your second clip; I can definitely, hear the "droning" that everyone seems to complain about! I would assume that the addition of a resonator would cure this? I guess when you are paying upwards of $1500 for a system; you are paying for all the r&d work; adjustments for sound, lack of droning etc. etc.

What other mods have you done to your beetle; I can hear a louder diverter sound or blow off valve of some sort... I have heard, that a bigger exhaust/down pipe can increase this sound as wll. Any info appreciated! :)
I really don't mind the droning. I kinda like it and its quieter than it used to be when I had just the resonator on haha. But I couldn't find a reputable 3" resonator when I was looking so I just skipped it. And all you are hearing there is a cone filter on the MAF. I took the air box out and slapped the cone filter on and was pleasantly surprised by the blow off valve sound from the diverted valve. Other than that I just have the diode mod, which is going to come off soon, and a boost gauge. Again, it's going to be a bit quieter when I get that sensor bung plugged up.

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
Cool; please keep this thread updated as you make changes and what you think about your exhaust system long-term. :) How did you deal with the attachment points on your exhaust system? I didn't see any wire hanger attachments and how did you deal with the center support brackets? Did you take all this off the old exhaust and reuse them?

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The way it ended up fitting is its just bolted to the turbo and then rests on the metal plate without the bracket attached. And then it just tests in the axle in the back. We were gonna use the hanging points but it just fit in like that. Doesn't bounce around too much and you don't hear it hitting things.

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
The main problem; that I have seen when the brackets are messed up or broken in the middle... it puts more stress on the flex tube and that eventually breaks. If it makes contact with the body or any other parts; seems like it would create buzzing, increased noise or the droning issue. I wonder how much it would cost for a muffler shop to put some hangers brackets on there, so all the muffler hangers are connected; that would, isolate the system from any part of the body. Seems it would be a much quieter, reduce any rattles and be a more solid system that would last; especially, the flex tube. If you post up any more drive by videos; let us know! :)

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yeah. In other news, I had to improvise a little in the plug for my extra o2 sensor bung. ImageUploadedByAG Free1372904766.415113.jpg
Sorry, the camera didn't focus right. But I had to drill a hole through the plug to put one of those clips through so I could torque the bolt in. The exhaust is a good deal quieter now, but you can't hear the turbo as much :(

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Secondary air injection system does not seem to like the new exhaust. Threw a code today telling me the flow wasn't right. I'll check the pump and its hoses tomorrow and see if anything is wrong there.

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
What was the code? I had a problem with the "secondary air injection system; insufficient flow", turned out to be the combi valve was stuck/binding. Replaced that; problem went away. Is the air pump working? From what I have seen; either a leak, pump not working or the combi valve.

I believe; it was something like this:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17819/P1411/005137

I was confused; because the combi valve held pressure/vacuum but apparently it was sticking. Very expensive on the AWP; hopefully yours isn't bad.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I would definitely try to get the center exhaust hanger worked out, with the motor torquing and the weight of the exhaust it may be an issue for the flex part and rear hanger.

Since the center hangers break ALL the times in the 1.8l, I have 2 standard hose clamps holding my broken bracket on the the exhaust pipe for almost a year without problems.

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The code is incorrect flow detected. P0411. Engine also threw p0012, intake cam is over retarded. I have no idea how that happened. I am going to clear it and see if it comes back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts