NewBeetle.org Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Last big item on the hit list before the show was to throw on some bedliner. While we had a cover for the bed, since it was going to be in a show, we wanted the bed to look as good as possible (but to be fair, its dented pretty bad...figured the textured bedliner would help though and make it a uniform color and finish).

Prepped for bedliner - you can see the paint overspray, etc.

Post-bedlining! You can see the dents and dings but it does help make it cleaner. Also helps keeps things from sliding around so much. We did a DIY roll-on kit called Monstaliner. Worked pretty well, but we did it on the most humid day and while some humidity is good for it (it cures better with more moisture), it was a bit too much and it started to set in the can between coats. But we got it done as well as we could.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
We put the chrome trim on the side of the truck, among other little things to get ready to go. We also tried to charge the AC before we left - we were driving to Georgia after all. And it was supposed to rain a lot so if anything, we wanted to be able to de-fog the windows. BUT! We installed a supposed good but used AC compressor. Threw in a can of freon before the compressor clutch seized up. Booo. This was 2 nights before we left, so we just went without AC for the weekend. We got lucky though, and the drives there and back were low humidity, 70's and just beautiful. And it didn't rain as much as we thought so the lack of AC wasn't bad at all, luckily.

But otherwise, we were about as ready as we would ever be. We had friends meet us at our place the night before we left to drive down with us (they used to live in NC but moved to Maine last year. They wanted to go to the show, but didn't want to drive 20+ hours straight so it worked out for everyone - we got company for the drive in case we had problems! They were towing one of their cars as well, so we knew we'd make to Georgia no matter what, which helped ease our minds a lot about the drive). And then Thursday May 9th, we hit the road for Georgia! Caravaning allowed us to get some good time with our friends. I got to ride in my friend's SQ5 (towing her husband's Corrado) while her husband got a ride in the truck. Taking the slightly longer but more scenic drive also allowed me to get some good shots of the truck on the road :)

It took us about 7 hours in total to get to Georgia with stops and lunch. But zero hiccups at all! It was a super comfortable ride with those Recaros and we were so happy to be back in Helen with our friends!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
We got there a day early so we could have some chill time before everyone showed up. Friday morning, we decided to get out and get some photos and do some driving in the mountains. First, was the obligatory bridge photo (which despite being in Helen 6 times prior, we've never done!)

Then we drove up a nice twisty mountain road to an overlook with our friends. This thing handled well and it was really fun to hear the supercharger whine as we pushed it to the limits. It was a bit squirrely in some of the turns, so we now have some sway bars for it to hopefully help that issue. We aren't too shocked but considering we had nothing like that on the truck, we were pretty happy with how it performed. The upgraded front brakes were nice as well. We got lots of photos of the cars and even got our first photos together with the truck. So, so happy!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Friday afternoon started the events for Alpine VAG Fair. Unlike most shows, there was a big emphasis on meets and get-togethers. It was a nice way for everyone to get out and about with their cars and see a lot that weren't in the show. We popped in to a few meets, but of course, the mk1 meet was what we were waiting for!

It was a great turnout of cars and the meets were really fun. I liked the setup a lot for sure. Saturday morning was the main show. Unfortunately it had rained the night before and was raining that morning. And the show field was grass. So it felt a bit dicey. But we made it to our spot, in our first show with the truck and got him cleaned up when the rain stopped. Still feel so happy we were chosen for the field. It was so much fun to finally make his debut at such a fun event!

It rained on and off for another hour or so, before it just stayed cloudy. So while it was raining, we got him a Europlate made :)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
We had an absolute blast! The show was very high quality and zero shenanigans. We went to SoWo from 2011 to its last year in 2015 and it really was getting out of hand and made us not enjoy it as much. This show felt a lot more like the earlier years of SoWo - people hanging out and enjoying cars. Still having some drinks and good times but no showing off, no burnouts, etc. The cops were zero tolerance and the event organizers had "support packs" that you could buy with a hang tag to show you supported the event, which I think also helped deter things. I really enjoyed it and it sounds like the town approved of the event as well. We are still waiting to hear if they will allow it back next year and when, but I know we will be back for sure!

We had a full day Sunday to hang out and shop and spend time with friends, which was nice. And we got the Helendorf mural shot as well (which, like the bridge photo, we somehow never did!).

Then on Monday, it was time to head home. Our friends went a different, quicker way back to Maine, so we were on our own. But we felt good, so on we went! Then while I was driving on the highway, Bill was taking a nap. I was coming up on traffic so I was slowing down. Went to shift into 4th gear and I had nothing! So I woke Bill up and we figured out a plan. Luckily there was a rest stop in 10 miles so I got there, coasted into the truck parking area and stopped. He figured out the issue quickly (a piece of the shift linkage had loosened up), jacked the truck up, got it fixed in about a minute, and we were on our way again. Only issue on the drive home, which wasn't bad. Also, yes that is painters tape on the front of the truck. Gotta protect the clean paint!!

All in all, we were really happy with how the truck did. We put about 800 miles on it that weekend. And with only that one real hiccup on the ride home, we can't really complain. We did discover that in heavy rain, the serp belt squeals, but it won't be driven in the rain if we can help it, so it is what it is. But may be something we see if we can address eventually. Since we've been back, we got a new AC compressor and got the AC charged. Just in time to hit a local Cars and Coffee type event on a super hot, humid day!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Its been such a journey with this truck. And its not over yet! We're planning on a few more shows this year with it, and hopefully some Cars and Coffee and other local events. Its definitely made us want to get back out and about in the car scene, especially locally. While we built it for us, it really is neat to see the attention it gets. Its something neither of us are used to and its a bit strange feeling. But it also makes us happy and so proud of the work we've done.

Still more to do with it. We did discover the rear tires rubbed pretty bad once everything settled in, so Bill picked up some air shocks for it to help stiffen the ride in the back to hopefully prevent that. We have the sway bar and k-brace to install to stiffen up the chassis. And a few little things here and there. I have a feeling this is a car that will always be tinkered with, but in a good way. But its nice that its about 90-95% complete. I'm sure it will see more miles this year, with lots of smiles on our faces the whole time. Now that is mostly done, that means its time for some other cars to get some lift time and love! My 20th is at the top of the list. Then we might work on modding our dailies :p

BUT! In addition to all of this insanity, Mister T now has a much bigger baby brother!

Yes, what you see before you is the first domestic vehicle we've ever owned. And first non-VAG product we've ever purchased (Bill had a Honda for 4 years, but it was a hand-me-down from his Mom so we don't count that as a purchase :p). Its a 2002 F150 we picked up for a steal from some friends who didn't want to mess with it anymore. Fixed several issues on it and should be a solid "Real" truck. We want to find a better hood for it, and do some work on the AC but that's about it. We picked up a nice hitch for it so it will also be a tow vehicle. So of course...if we ever wanted/needed to, this truck could tow Mister T the truck! (Don't worry, he's not going to turn into a Trailer King at all. We love driving him!!). The Ford barely fits in the garage, but it does. And it really shows how tiny Mr. T really is! Its definitely interesting now that we have a real truck, with a V8. Different experience in driving for sure. But it will be useful. We now won't have to use Mr. T for dump runs, etc if we don't want to. And when we aren't using it, the Ford will live with my parents as a farm truck so it won't just sit for months and months like it would at our house. Oh, and he does have a name. Its Hayward Beauregard. Hay Bo for short (any of you Southerners should get it :lol:).

So yeah, that's the updates for now. Bill is out of town for work all month so we haven't really done much with it in a few weeks. I may be taking it to a small event here in town on the 29th, but that's only if a friend doesn't visit. Otherwise, we may be going to a show in Knoxville in July (still unsure) and a show in Atlanta in September. Maybe a show in Florida in October. Nothing is set. But he will be out and about and making friends along the way!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts