NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking Techtonics website & they have a cat-back available with either a Magnaflow or Borla muffler for my 1.9L TDI. I'm sticking with my stock down pipe for now.

I'm just talking sound quality here, as I assume the piping & resonator is the same for both(except diameter of course) and am asking if anyone can provide some insight to the different sound characteristics of both to help me decide on which to get?

Thanks in advance

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I have spent days on Youtube listing to different systems. The only problem with this method is sound quality of the cameras and how close the camera is to the exhaust can alter the sound a lot. But you can get an idea of what they sound like.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have spent days on Youtube listing to different systems. The only problem with this method is sound quality of the cameras and how close the camera is to the exhaust can alter the sound a lot. But you can get an idea of what they sound like.
Same here. I'd like to hear more "drive-bys" than just sitting & revving, like most are :rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I ditched the muffler for a straight pipe,cat is still there.Sounds better,like hearing the turbo.Legal in Texas,don't know about your location.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ditched the muffler for a straight pipe,cat is still there.Sounds better,like hearing the turbo.Legal in Texas,don't know about your location.
Ahh, the "mufflerectomy". Currently, it would be legal here too. I've heard some youtube videos of that setup too, but like 2004NBTURBOS said, the cameras are too close to get a good sound clip.

I considered doing that because of the lack of expense, but really think I would prefer a "tuned" exhaust note if you know what I mean.

Maybe, if you have time, you could post some videos of your setup. Preferably from a person with a camera that can get a clip of you idling, driving away and a driveby. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm considering removing my stock muffler & replacing it with a Magnaflow or Borla muffler.

I had put a set of Flowmasters on the stock exhaust components of my Mustang and it sounded great.

I'd like to keep the stock look by adding a turn-down tip under the bumper like I have now to the new muffler.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My son put a 2 chamber flowmaster on his w/o the cat. In our state they only do a safty inspection on diesels. Its not loud but you can hear the turbo spool up. Sounds great. The beetle just rturned over 300k on the clock and still cranks easily and gets 50 mpg.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My son put a 2 chamber flowmaster on his w/o the cat. In our state they only do a safty inspection on diesels. Its not loud but you can hear the turbo spool up. Sounds great. The beetle just rturned over 300k on the clock and still cranks easily and gets 50 mpg.
Does your son have a video of the exhaust sound that you could post? I'd really like to hear what it sounds like with the flowmaster as I'm still trying to decide.
For cost savings, I'd like to simply replace my stock muffer with a performance one. I'll have to get under my NB to see where the hangers are located. I think they're attached to the muffler. This will mean a muffler shop will have to install it for me. I've already talked to one and he said it would be around $100 depending on how much work is needed.

I have a non-catted x-pipe on the Mustang with the flows, but you can really "smell" :rolleyes: the difference from the catted versions. Our state doesn't have inspections or smog checks like many others do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts