NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried NOT running a muffler? Dodge SRT-4 comes from the factory with no muffler... I used to own an 87 dodge charger GLHS and the muffler fell off (yeah it was old)I ended up liking the sound so i never fixed it and just drove it like that. so... anyone on the org run without a muffler? a Turbocharger naturally baffles the exhaust note since the exhaust pass through the unit before heading out the tailpipe.

·
RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!
2,063 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same with my NB. I had a Saturn with a highly modded 1.9 that sounded just sick with stright thru exhaust! Maybe I'll get luckly with the vdub and have the same...

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Can't speak about the 1.8T, but can not tell much of a difference with the 1.9.
Only one way to find out. Remove the muffler, drive around, and see if you like the sound. If you don't like it, replace the muffler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just figured that not only would it sound better with no muffler but there HAS to be some sort of performance reducing back pressure caused by the muffler... so why not just be done with it?

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
I have been running for about 3 months without mine. There is a slight performance increase, not sure cause I dont have before and after dyno results. I am running a full 2.5" downpipe back (minus the muffler right now) and it can get loud but not get raspy. Then again turbos prefer to has less backpressure.

·
175 Posts
I've been running no muffler with a straight pipe for almost two years. It's a near perfect tone. Deep and full of bass down low a little deeper than a 350Z. Up high it nearly disappears. Cruising at speed sounds just like stock.....almost. I even had a Sherrif that lives next to me give me a complement. I get asked all the time what exhaust I have and I tell them it's a secret.:p It is not loud at all! It is not raspy or like a ricey fart can. It is very pleasing to the ears and you can have a normal conversation in the car at any speed or throttle. It lets the car rev a little quicker and saves a lot of weight since the Beetle has the largest muffler I've ever seen. I have the pipe up high and down turned so that it's not even visable from behind.

Attachments

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
yup 2 years 2 here but i have no ccat either and 3 inch exhaust... wehn i get into boost and the wastgate opens it sounds pritty nasty

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
u cant actualy run open dp for and amount of time... bc i have burned threw 3 gas tankes doing it... inless u shoot it out the side

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Just finished removing muffler. The exhaust is apr full turbo back 2.5". Have the 93 & 100 oct apr chip.

I was surprised -it is not as loud as i thought it would be. In fact in crusing speed it is a just a tat louder than apr. Now at idle you get that low rumble not that ricey sound. You can hear the turbo operating (very pronounced) really whistles. At lower speeds and off the line it is wicked sounding. Let off the gas and you get that back fire sound.

This is but dyno-i believe i have more in mid and even more at top end range. May have lost a little in low end. But i need to drive and let nb adjust to the change- no fault codes on vag. I can change back to muffler in a short amount of time.

Did put on a new tip to throw out exhaust from the back- not down under the bumper. I believe this helps make it a little quiter.

Dont know about the tip-i like the low profile that it gives. Wish i could put the tip in the middle. Having 2.5 exhaust a round tip was going to look big. But i could change tips pretty easy.

The more i look at present tip the better i like it. But would like your comments. I do want a tip to blend in and not look ricey. The tip is a little different looking than normal tips you see.

Maybe some of you could show me the tips that you have installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Heh, rounded corners would help it fit in. Heck, might even be neat if you can get it to match the inset's shape that's right above it. Round corners up top leading to points at the bottom, kinda trapazoid shape.

maybe maybe not. Doesn't look bad now.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Red Rider said:
Just finished removing muffler. The exhaust is apr full turbo back 2.5". Have the 93 & 100 oct apr chip.

I was surprised -it is not as loud as i thought it would be. In fact in crusing speed it is a just a tat louder than apr. Now at idle you get that low rumble not that ricey sound. You can hear the turbo operating (very pronounced) really whistles. At lower speeds and take off's it is wicked sounding.

This is but dyno-i believe i have more in mid and top end range. May have lost a little in low end. But i need to drive and let nb adjust to the change- no fault codes on vag. I can change back to muffler in a short amount of time.

Did put on a new tip to throw out exhaust from the back- not down under the bumper. I believe this helps make it a little quiter.

Dont know about the tip-i like the low profile the tip gives. Wish i could put the tip in the middle. Having 2.5 exhaust a round tip was going to look big. But i could change tips pretty easy.

The more i look at present tip the better i like it. But would like your comments. I do want a tip to blend in and not look ricey. The tip is a little different looking than normal tips you see.

Maybe some of you could show me the tips that you have installed on your nb.
looks like a chrome z28 tip...thats sharp

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Thought about the square edges-not much i can do.

Boy the nb is running better and better, guess it is getting use to change.

It still surprises me that the noise level is not really loud. Now at low end you never heard such noises-i guess the turbo really likes it-its funny to listen to the turbo-groan- whistle and pwwwwweh. Like turbo is saying throw it to it. The turbo likes that high end.

One problem-taking my wife out to dinner tonight-so got to learn how to hold this nb down. Be my luck for a mustang to pull up and start growling.

This nb has got me into more trouble-but i like it;) ;)

I would like to see some tips that some of you are using.

Well KOFE what do you think you are going to do-i would reco. take muffler off and give it try. If you have regular nb muffler you will probably notice some changes- especially sound.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well here is the thing,
I ordered an APR 2.5" turbo-back exhaust and its on its way as we speak (takes a bit to get over here since im in the middle-east) along with a 93oct + stock APR chip. I think what ill end up doing is putting on the full exhaust and seeing what my wife thinks about the sound, if she can tolerate the apr muffler then I'll be happy, if she loves the sound and wants more then ill be ecstatic and will give mufflerless a try. I actually like that tip you put on for two reasons, 1: it adds SOMETHING to the looks of the car, i hate hidden tips :( and 2: the roads suck here and ground clearance is very important otherwise your grounding out on potholes, speed bumbs, etc...
May i ask where you got the tip from? If I were to take off the muffler i imagine i'll more then likely have to extend the exhaust pipe further towards the rear of the car to compensate for the shortened pipe without the muffler.

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
You will like the apr set up-had mine for 5 months. The apr exhaust gives a good tone. The mufflerless may be too much for your wife. But the muffler will remove easy. You will have to extend.

The tip is a camaro style- get it at www.autobarn.net/exhausttips.html

you will love the added performance with apr set up, it turns the nb on.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Red Rider said:
Take a look at this one -get it from auto anything-a borla dual angle cut intercooler tip - 2.5 " inlet--a high priced item
those are the tips i had on my camaro...very nice...although they probably wouldn't work so much on a roundy car like the nb..check out the borla circular intercooled tips..those look real nice

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I've been mufflerless since July...love the sound, and with my 3" turboback, it's deep and mean, esp. once I put a cat back on it.

Wait, i have a TDI...you might get some rasp...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts