NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 beetle 2.0 convertible automatic. 50k, recently repaired leak at the coolant temp housing. with in a week the check engine light came on, 2181, replaced the temp sensor with a vw part green top sensor, cleared faults check engine came back after a week. same faults this time with 0118 and 3041. i flushed the coooling system bleed aout all air. car never over heated, just the check engine light came on. also noticed the check engine comes on at a cold start, if the ac is used takes about 2 weeks for the light to come on if no ac is used about a week.... any help around this issue?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
Which codes are coming on now?

The firs two are related to the temp sensor; which you just replaced, right?

19497/P3041 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16502/P0118/000280 - Ross-Tech Wiki

This code; seems to indicate; water pump or thermostat issue. Are the fans kicking on?

18613/P2181/008577 - Ross-Tech Wiki

I would pull the thermostat and feel the water pump; see if it is cracked or spinning on the metal impeller. It maybe on the edge of failing; working ok but progressively spinning more and more on the metal shaft... not cooling at its optimum. What codes are currently popping up; are you still getting the temp sensor codes?

This video; has some explanation of the water pump failure and spinning on the metal shaft... plus, some troubleshooting tips; (e.g. checking hose temps etc.)

Volkswagen Overheating Issue 1.8t & 1.9tdi - YouTube

Give us more info; current codes...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi

thanks for the quick reply, i havent had a chance to check the fans or thermostat, however when it gets cold out this week its had hard starts/ extended cranking, when warm its fine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts