NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other half has a convertable Beetle (2004 1596 cc petrol ) and it is causing so much hassle. Speedometer only works intermittantly, neither does the fuel gauge, the lights sometimes work on low beam but not main beam, she has had to replce three rear lights, heater wont work apart from when set to full blast, seems every day is a new problem, some go away, some stay, apart from that its a great drive so we dont want to scrap it.. One garage has suggested replacing the entire binnicle, but thats going to cost nearly £1000, too much for us sadly. Is there anything i can do, i'm not a mechanic, but know enough to replace fuses and some electrical parts. All advice greatly recieved...! cheers

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Ideally, troubleshooting should start with a fresh scan; using a vw specific scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech and see if there are any vw factory trouble codes, indicating issues related to your current problems. The speedo clusters on these cars; are common failure points but they can be rebuilt/repaired. More troubleshooting and testing is required; to figure out the source of the problem and a vw scan tool, can be a very helpful way, to figure out what is going on. Let us know, how you want to proceed to with repairs and troublehooting the problems and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In the absence of vcds.
Speedometer, check the vss (vehicle speed sensor) on top of the transmission make sure the wiring is good and the connector is fully seated.

Fuel gauge, check the wiring connection under the back seat. Remove the small round panel to access the top of the fuel tank check the connector and wiring.

Or these two issues could both be part of a dead or dying cluster, when my daughter bought her beetle, the speedo, fuel gauge and tach didn’t work, I found a cluster on eBay had an immo delete done to the ecu and she’s back in business.

I recently replaced the hi/low beam stalk on my other daughters Jetta. She had no low beams just hi beams. Beetle/Jetta/golf are all the same.

The heater switch may be worn out or the resistor needs replacing.

Fixing most of these issues is fairly simple, there are write ups on this site and over at tdiclub.com and of course YouTube has videos of all these issues also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the absence of vcds.
Speedometer, check the vss (vehicle speed sensor) on top of the transmission make sure the wiring is good and the connector is fully seated.

Fuel gauge, check the wiring connection under the back seat. Remove the small round panel to access the top of the fuel tank check the connector and wiring.

Or these two issues could both be part of a dead or dying cluster, when my daughter bought her beetle, the speedo, fuel gauge and tach didn’t work, I found a cluster on eBay had an immo delete done to the ecu and she’s back in business.

I recently replaced the hi/low beam stalk on my other daughters Jetta. She had no low beams just hi beams. Beetle/Jetta/golf are all the same.

The heater switch may be worn out or the resistor needs replacing.

Fixing most of these issues is fairly simple, there are write ups on this site and over at tdiclub.com and of course YouTube has videos of all these issues also.
It really sounds like a corroded electrical system or one damaged in an accident or battery acid got into the main fuse box. Park in the sun and trace every wire going to an appliance and check the integrity of each connection. I've got a 2000 beetle w/ 123,000 m. and few electrical problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts