VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BeetlePop
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'll try to be efficient here.
I bought my daughter a 2000 beetle gls 2.0 with problems to get it cheap. My mechanic fixed a ton of things including a new battery, wiring harness, alternator (with voltage reg), positive battery cable, checked negative cable, cleaned and repaired battery top fuse block and checked all fuses.

When I bought the car a few weeks ago, the dash lights were flickering at 1500 + rpm, and power windows didnt work above 10mph, and many more weird things. Since having a bunch of things fixed, shorts under hood etc, the only problems are intermittent. Check this out.

The lights don't come on when door is opened. The alarm didnt work, the locks and mirrors worked yesterday but not today.
The clock and temp above rear view mirror worked.

Today, I drained the capacitors by removing the battery cables and jumping positive to negative (not connected to the battery) and then replaced the negative and then positive cable. VOILA! the alarm light blinked. I don't have a remote but I unlocked the car, got in, and started the car. the alarm went off. I turned the car off and got out and locked the door, the alarm stopped but kept blinking. I got in and turned the key to start it and the alarm went off. I jumped out and opened the trunk with the key and the alarm stopped and didnt blink. The car runs and I drove it around the block.
So, I opened the inside fuse panel, all the fuses check good. I removed the door lock fuse anyway and put it back in, also a few others I don't remember which. And the alarm lights went off and the alarm is no longer a problem. The door locks work and the mirrors work. BUT NOW......the turn signals don't work and the outside temp above the rearview mirror doesnt work!

OMG! What a piece of crap. WAAYYYY over engineered and the replacement remote flip key thing is $300 total.

I'm not handy with a multimeter but I wonder if anyone could look at this and pretty much know what it could be.
I can't seem to find a pattern.

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Definitely some wiring issues and possibly some goofiness with the ecm; especially, since you were having charging issues? When you have low voltage problems; all the of the computers goes haywire, when they don't have enough voltage to run correctly. A hard reset; is a good idea, can "cure" some scrambled up ecm problems but not always.

1. I would test the charging system and make sure everything is working/charging as it should (e.g. battery, alternator etc.).

2. scan the car for trouble codes; get a cheap VW scanner if you dont' have one (look on amazon.com for vag405 or the current version vs450). The VW diagnostic trouble coding system, is pretty incredible; the trouble codes, can pinpoint issues that you probably could never figure out! Get one asap!

3. common areas for problems with alarm issues/lighting/intermittant no power accessory problems:

a. door locks fail, solder joints get messed up and cause the alarm to go off.

b. wiring in doors get broken; in wiring harness that goes from the body to the door

c. turn signal/light problems; many times, are related to ignition switch failing, wiring to the switch melting or

d. turn signal switch having internal grounding out, switch failures.... temp not working, could be interrelated to c/d.

As you can see; MANY possibilities but you need to do a process of elimination and having a VW scan tool, is a MUST in my opinion (to successfully repair these cars). amazon can ship you one; the next day with a little extra shipping costs or quickly with amazon prime.

A multimeter and circuit tester/light; is definitely worth getting; if you don't have them. Even if you are just doing basic things like: checking a circuit for continuity and to confirm you are getting power to things. Both are cheap; you can pick them up at any auto parts store.

Start with the charging system and work from there.. :cool: Lets get this thing fixed; you can do it! :)

·
BeetlePop
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Actually, it was the voltage regulator charging almost 20 volts to the battery, making the battery very hot, boiling, and messing up the dash lights when over 1500 rpm. That's why the alternator and regulator replacement.

I'll get a scanner. Thank you.

I'll start there.

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Cool, so did you get a new alternator? Get a high quality oem replacement; like bosch, delphi, hitachi etc.; try to get what came in it originally. Don't buy cheap aftermarket rebuilt alternators; that you can get at your typical auto parts stores, like autozone/o'reilly's (these won't last and just give you more problems). You can search for Bosch parts; by using the Bosch parts finder:

Bosch Vehicle Part Finder

Did you confirm; that the charging system is working correctly and in spec? Is it possible; the battery or wiring got damaged from the too high charging condition; how does the wiring harness, battery and fuse panel above the battery look?

·
BeetlePop
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Progress

Okay yes I replaced alt with a bosch.
Good there.

I figured out my turn signals problem. The hazzard switch was bad. Now they work.

The rest is all latches. I paid VW to diagnose and they say the drivers, passengers, and rear hatch latches are all bad and sending random signals that messes up everything. Plus I don't have the remote.

So they quoted me $430 for the drivers side, $470 for the passengers side, and $380 for the rear hatch for latch replacements. HEHEHE Okay I'm thinking some foul words right now.

So, I need to order these latches but I don't find latch under the parts available online. I see actuator and lock but I have no idea what to order. Can anyone point me in the right direction. The pricing is varied but no where near what they charge at the dealership.

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
When it comes to the latches; you basically have these options:

1. dealer parts
2. aftermarket parts
3. Chinese vw parts
4. used junk yard parts

5. try to repair your original parts; typically the solder joints crack and cause intermittent connectivity/grounding problems. You can search for diy's on these repairs; here or vwvortex.

Probably the best dealer prices are going to be Volkswagen Parts 2Go | Genuine VW Parts Up to 25% Off

Dorman makes aftermarket versions but I cannot vouch for their quality.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/

Autozone and Rockauto.com sell Dorman products.

aa rodriguez/fixmyvw.com has some good prices; they have the door latches for $55 and you might call them for the rear latch, see if they sell it. I cannot vouch for the quality; again, you might ask them if they are genuine vw or aftermarket parts.

VW New Beetle

used: tons of stuff on ebay

·
Registered
118 Posts
Being cheap generally comes back to bite you in the ass. Hopefully you will be able to get all your issues fixed so your daughter can enjoy the car, the whole alarm, door lights, thing is very common on Volkswagens. Its the mechanics in the door. Like Billymade said their is a few write ups and youtube videos on how to fix it yourself and save you a ton of money. I just did my door locks and now my interior dome lights come on when I open the door, my doors no longer randomly lock themselves, etc.. It takes a long time to get everything out but its well worth fixing.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The rest is all latches. I paid VW to diagnose and they say the drivers, passengers, and rear hatch latches are all bad and sending random signals that messes up everything. Plus I don't have the remote.

So they quoted me $430 for the drivers side, $470 for the passengers side, and $380 for the rear hatch for latch replacements. HEHEHE Okay I'm thinking some foul words right now.
Those prices seem very high to me (even assuming that's including labor). It's not that hard to pull apart a VW New Beetle's door. I've done it myself a few times for various issues on our car. There are various "how-to" web pages and videos online which will show you how to pull the doors apart.

If you're at all handy I'd do as others have suggested and try to repair yours since it's usually only the micro-switches that go bad and are guilty of sending the wrong signals.

I complain all the time about VW reliability (lack of it), but if you do the work yourself, you can save a ton of money. Failing that, find an independent VW mechanic instead of the dealer.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Prices are right for the dealer. I paid $450 for the dealer to do my drivers side latch back in '05.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Essentially its usually just resoldering some broken solder welds on a board. Usually its just two. Thats what mine was and now it works great. Takes a while to get everything disassembled, but its well worth in the end to not have to explain that you need to press the unlock button every friggen time before putting the key in the ignition or the alarm will go off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts