NewBeetle.org Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just purchased a 2001 VW Beetle 2.0 with 119k, and began working on it a couple of days ago. I changed the timing belt, water pump, and i also changed the spark plugs the ignition coil and the cylinder 4 spark wire which was bad, and will change the other three in the morning. After that, I plugged up a vag to check the CEL codes and had these:p0300,P0301, P0302 and P0304.. I've been reading up and some people say to clean the MAF and the crank sensor. Any advice would be very helpful at this time because i just want to get it road ready. Thank You

·
5/23/10 <3
11,076 Posts
Did you get those codes before you started working on it and they came back on or were they still in there from before? I would change the wires and then clear the codes. See if the codes come back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had theses codes after i finished working on the car, the coil was bad i pulled it out and it was crack, the plugs looked like they were never changed so i did that and then the one wire was bad, i am going to change the other three wires in the morning, but i am just wondering why these codes would come up after i did the tune up steps.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had theses codes after i finished working on the car, the coil was bad i pulled it out and it was crack, the plugs looked like they were never changed so i did that and then the one wire was bad, i am going to change the other three wires in the morning, but i am just wondering why these codes would come up after i did the tune up steps.
clear the codes and run it. If light comes back on let us know what codes present. The codes you mention are misfire codes on all cylinders. That does not usually happen. Are you sure it is in time? Did you mix up plug wires when you put it back together?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did clear all codes and run the car a couple times earlier today,the codes came back after a couple blocks of driving, im pretty sure its timed properly as i checked the compression on all cylinders and they all read 200 lbs,

·
Registered
553 Posts
I did clear all codes and run the car a couple times earlier today,the codes came back after a couple blocks of driving, im pretty sure its timed properly as i checked the compression on all cylinders and they all read 200 lbs,
Grasping here but did you get the right plugs and are tehy gapped properly? You stated you replaced coil and one wire have you changed the other wires yet? are tehy OEM or aftermarket, it doesn't happen often but some aftermarket plugs do not fit properly and cause issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update!!

Great new i just want to update for future references, i changed the wires and found a vacuum line lose and it fixed the misfire problems!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
vacumme leak

where was the hose or the leak i am having trouble with miss fires i replaced all the plugs wires n coil n still poppin the p0300 p0301 p0304 plus a mass code n now a 02 sensor code tryi to figure this out after 500 bucks i am nowhere yet :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the vacuum line that was loose on my car was located near the power assisted brake line, it just was not connected all the way, i would check all lines and see if any are loose, also you can try cleaning the mass air flow meter, i did that as well. alldata also says to check the intake for leaks or the injectors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Missfires

We we did plugs n wires first then the coil n module and a code came bck for mass sensor n 02 so i bought a dealer mas air sen. Today at a whopping185 at a discount at my local dealer they hooks me up a lil guess he sees me enough so we cleared it n ran it and hope for the best 7ooo in parts so far free labor thank god my buddy does it hope this solves it already i had a new brain popped in long ago when i was poppin maf sensors way back n they rewired the sensor to the brain n a new sensor way back this is the frist time we had trouble after warrenting 10 of them they solved the trouble back then but we will see plugs n wires are due anyway 40 thousand on them so we should b good

·
5/23/10 <3
11,076 Posts
No reason to buy from the dealer unless you need the parts right away. Plenty of online suppliers that carry OEM parts for much, much cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I just changed the alternator to my Volkswagen 2003 beetle it was fine when I was done started running as soon as I shut off it didn’t go on the engine got really hot can someone tell me why and what do I need to do please

·
Super Moderator
5,354 Posts
Hi I just changed the alternator to my Volkswagen 2003 beetle it was fine when I was done started running as soon as I shut off it didn’t go on the engine got really hot can someone tell me why and what do I need to do please
Please start a new topic, not revive a 9 year old one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.