VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help?

I have a 2004 New Beetle 1.8 Turbo S. Today I replaced the front brake rotors and pads, cleaning the callipers and associated hardware. There were no issues replacing the parts until I tried to start the car. Now it won’t even turn over and I have multiple warning indications on the dashboard:

Flashing (RED) Oil
Constant (YELLOW) ABS
Flashing (RED) Brakes
Constant (YELLOW) EPC

None of these were lit before I worked on the brakes.

The only electrical circuit I have broken is the pad wear senor during the replacement.

I’ve read several posts including cleaning the ABS sensor, checking the brake fluid level or replacing the ABS module; I can look at cleaning the sensors tomorrow; The fluid level is good; I’d rather discount other options before looking at the ABS module replacement.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
If your battery gets too low; the lights can flash erratically and it will be too low to start the car. Put the battery on the charger and get it back to normal. If you can scan the car; you may get a code for every computer on the car, as everything freaks out when the voltage is low. You might get the codes and then clear them; see if any come back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charged Battery. Car working

Billymade,

I charged the battery last night. The car turned over and fire straight away this morning. There are no warning lights. Guess I let the battery drain. I'll keep an eye on that.

Thanks for your help; it's really appreciated. You saved me doing a lot of unnecessary work.

:)

Shrubs

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Because, of the low voltage issue; go ahead and take your car to your local auto parts store and have them do a complete charging system test. Your car maybe fine but it would be worth it, to confirm that everything is working as it should, for free! Also, have them scan the car for trouble codes. :)

PS: in the future; I would consider buying a VW specific scan tool, especially for diagnosing the ABS system which is proprietary and basic OBD II scan tool will not be able to get the codes for that. Check out amazon.com for the VAG 401 or look at ross-tech.com for VCDS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts