NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to play my iPod through the factory Monsoon system and tried the cassette adapter that started to make clattering noises, and tried an FM transmitter which was pretty bad. I really forgot about it as I was okay with FM and the CD changer with my burned CDs.

The CD player started developing a problem playing CDs, and now it doesn't at all. I was considering looking into repair. Tonight I saw a topic on another website asking about FM transmitters and it got me checking out other solutions. I'm quite electronically challenged, but I'm getting the impression that I can plug an iPod or iPhone into the CD changer and it will play through the existing system.

If this is accurate, it seems like an excellent solution as I won't need to repair the CD changer/player and I'll have a very convenient connection point into the system. I haven't seen any need to put music on to my recently acquired iPhone5, but to use in it the sound system seems like a good idea.

Is this product what I need or is there more to it than that? I'm not looking for satellite radio or dashboard controls, just the ability to play iTunes. Any advice and opinions are most welcome.

2002 Turbo S that I love, and am very happy with keeping it mostly, but not fanatically, stock.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You have a few options.

1. Read this - http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/58487-7-90-aux-input-newer-head-unit.html#post815827

2. You can likely have an Aux cable added to your cassette head unit for around $60? Search ebay and there is a shop/person that offers cassette head units with Aux cables and I know they have added this feature for a few forum members.

3. No 100% this will work, but you can use the CD interface and feed sound into the head unit with these signals. There may be some signal spoofing required to make the head unit think the CD player is still there, might be able to leave the data connection for the CD players, but splice into the audio signal portion??

If you do any of the above, you likely will not need the exact device you posted, you could use this, http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450...&qid=1376087516&sr=8-1&keywords=kinovo+btc450

but I would set up to stream via Bluetooth using A2DP and this would also give you hands free speaker phone capability as well using a phone.

·
Daisy's Mae's Mom
171 Posts
I've also got a similar problem. Mine is an 06 so it's a CD player. I've got an 'aux' outlet below where the seat heaters are located. What are my options of what I can plug into that outlet?

My CD player has a CD that is stuck in it now. It will play the CD but won't reject it. If I hit the eject button, I get continuous clicking.

And also the dealership put in a new windshield and the radio reception is bad so I'm sure they broke something when they put that in, so basically I need to do something pretty quick!

I hope someone has some answers out there for me! :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Take your ipod or mp3 player your smartphone should also work and use a male to male mini stereo patch cable. Hook one end to the headphone jack on the mp3 player and the other to the aux in jack in the car. You will need to control the music from your mp3 player but it will play on the car speakers.

Perhaps the windshield installer guy did not hook the antenna up properly. The antenna for the vert is in the windshield. Or perhaps he put in the wrong windshield without the antenna.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Macrobin,

This is what you want - Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: MP3 Players & Accessories

No need to connect your phone with a wire. Bluetooth A2DP (stream from your phone music, Pandora or what ever to the head unit. This also is a microphone and the button allows you to skip and pause programming. Hands free speaker phone with audio through the sound system.

The only thing you should likely do it figure a way to power the unit while the radio is on, as sometimes when you get out and someone calls you when you are pumping gas or in a store close by the Bluetooth is still connected and it will confuse you until you change to the phone speaker and microphone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts