VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have had quite a few VW's over the years, mostly a 50/50 mix of gassers and diesels. I currently have an 03 Golf TDI, and I just recently picked up this '00 Beetle TDI as a project to keep me busy over the winter.

I'm doing over 30,000 miles a year in the Golf, but the Beetle will be stuck in the garage for a while.

So, it's a 2000 TDI 5spd.
Model?...I dunno...GL? Is this marked somewhere?
The car has cloth seats, no sunroof. Power windows/locks,etc, and cruise control.
Color: Batik Blue (I think?). It's dark blue. Dr. Google tells me there was only one dark blue in 2001 and it's "Batik" blue. If that's wrong, please feel free to correct me.

The good:
The car has relatively low miles for a 15 year old...
208,000 kms or approximately 129,000 original miles.
It starts, instantly.
Original paint (not sure if that's good or bad yet...)
It was cheap, and it did make home under it's own diesel power (60 miles).
I found a cheap set of 17" Beetle Daytona wheels in the local classifieds...and I wasn't really even looking. I had a set of correct size Michelins here that were removed from the wife's is250.
Interior is in decent shape for a 15 year old car.

The bad:
VE diesel injector pump was bad. Sounded like a spoon in an empty soup can. I replaced it with a used unit I got for $150 and it works great. Will get the original noisy one rebuilt later. It still starts instantly.
AC pump is shot...so are the AC lines, the AC clutch, pulley, and bearing on the pump. All trashed.
Turbo is shot. VCDS showed only one code...neg boost deviation. VNT is seized, and VNT actuator has a massive rust hole in it.
Both rocker panels are rusted off the car, and there are some other spots...front of the hood, and a few on the roof and trunk.

Anyway, it will take some work (and money). I do all my own mechanical work so that's easy and cheap enough (well, most of it...I don't have a hoist).
Under the hood stuff...no problem.
The body work however...not really my bag of tricks...I'll look around for a shop that may have replaced the rockers on one of these things before, and hopefully the thing prettied up in the spring.

That's all for now. Hopefully you guys can help me with some of the odds and ends I'll have to sort out along the way. I started another thread in mods section looking for info on suspension and wheel spacers;).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Very nice! Just doing the same thing for my 2003. I am getting ready to put in all new suspension/struts/shocks/springs and 2" lift to get it off the ground. Tired of scraping all the time and ruining things (grill/fog lights/bottom of car). See mt thread here if you like. It hs some vendors for parts listed I used. Waiting on some rebuilt injectors with DLC 520 nozzles and a Malone stage 2 tune as well. I presume you are also familiar with Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community as well.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-...3-ravenna-blue-gls-tdi-beetle-5sp-manual.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I don't know about "very nice", but it does fit the definition of a "project"...lol. Thanks.

I'm a regular on TDIclub, and I've seen your Beetle project pics over there.

I have the DLC520 nozzles in my Golf. Had DBW cal my injectors and install the nozzles a while back. They work well. As for suspension...that will be a little while off on the Beetle, but I just ordered a set of Bilstein TC "Comforts" for my Golf.

The Beetle is OK for what it is. We have pretty serious rust issues here, and with the Beetle being 15 years old, it is a fine example of that. As for suspension...I wanted to get this Beetle set-up with a sport suspension of some kind...not that I'll be doing anything "sporty" with it...lol, but my intent is to sport it up a little.

I spend a lot of time on the highway, so I hope to burn up some miles with the Beetle starting in the spring/summer of 2016 if it's ready by then.

I have all new rotors and pads to install, and in a couple weeks I'm going to pull everything off the back of the ALH...turbo, intake, etc...and see if I can get the VNT freed up and the intake cleaned up. If that doesn't work, I'll be installing a new Mahle turbo (running one on the Golf).

So, engine/turbo/intake/VCDS tuning....then brakes all around, then transmission...linkages, shift tower R&R, and new fluid.

Once she's relatively road worthy again, I'll look at getting those rocker panels replaced;).

I like the blue...both mine and yours. I looked at several of these, and the blue paint was one of the reasons I ended up with this particular car;).

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts