NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, so I am fairly new to this site,I browsed it A LOT before I had my car on the road but here are some of the pictures to show the progression.. I still have some plans for it that hopefully i can get started on soon!

The very first thing I did when the car was off the road was photoshop how i wanted it to look.
I took care of all the issues it had.. The cluster was light up like a christmas tree, got that all fixed up and it was ready to go..

[ 1.9 TDI New Beetle ] by Tylyr Lenc l LencPhoto, on Flickr

The first thing's I did to the car..
Changed the rims
plastidipped the emblems, grill and rear valence

couple months later..
Put on JOM Blueline Coilovers
skidplate

Here's how she sits now, The back is still a little to high for me. Its maxxed out and the perches have been removed so its just the spring on the axle. Any way I can get it lower? can I replace the springs with smaller ones or would it have to be the whole rear suspension?

[ 1.9 TDI New Beetle Lightpainted #3 ] by Tylyr Lenc l LencPhoto, on Flickr

[ 1.9 TDI New Beetle + Civic Lightpainted #4 ] by Tylyr Lenc l LencPhoto, on Flickr

Untitled by Tylyr Lenc l LencPhoto, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Looks great. Looks like it sits pretty good to me! I have the same situation with my rear adjustables. I'm leaving my perches in for winter time. I need a little more clearance for the snow drifts. I have my fronts adjusted so from the bottom of the strut mount to the bottom of the adjuster rings is right at 2". Where are yours at?

Mine rides great and just got back from a 3k mile driving vacation. Currently running a hybrid oil pan that came in handy when I had an "incident" with a coyote leaving the Rocky Mountain State Park.

Again, like the stance, like the look & the black accents. What's the specs on your wheel-tire combo?

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Great looking Beetle and excellent photographs. You certainly have a talent for taking pictures, really looking forward to seeing lots more from you :)

·
High mileage driver found
266 Posts
I love it. Great to see more Ontario Beetle owners on here!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the late reply everybody! Thanks for the comments and showing some love for the bug, im from toronto to be more specific.. but thats all ill say..

I have been working 2 jobs, 13 hours of work a day to save up for the plans i have for this.. :)A lot is in mind for next summer!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I have been busy working but finally achieved a goal i never thought i would be able to do..

Picked up an Autopilot V2 kit for my bug, going to get working on this asap.. just waiting on the tank then i can get it all going.

Here is another recent photo i had some fun with in photoshop

Attachments

·
High mileage driver found
266 Posts
Another Ontario Beetle owner... welcome! Love the rims.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's been a while!

Just figured i would continue posting updates when possible. I've changed quite a bit of stuff since I last posted. I had some issues last winter with the car but ended up fixing a few items..

Oil changes every 3k
New glow plugs
New glow plug relay
New alternator
New single mass clutch
New lightweight flywheel
New front brake pads
New front brakes (drilled/slotted)

Since I last posted one of the first things i did at that time was get the air ride installed.

I did the trunk setup myself. I wired everything up, left the connections 1/2" from where they needed to go so the shop just had to connect them when installing the struts.

I wanted to keep my spare tire so I made a little trap door to open. This was just testing the fitment of the tank and the door opening and getting the tire out.

Here is how it came out, at the time I was super happy with it.. It just needed to go to the shop to have the air lines connected and the struts put on. I would have put the struts on myself but it was the middle of winter and my garage was wayyyyyyy to cold to even try that. I also needed the car to get to and from work so I couldn't have it just sitting there.

Off to the shop it went to get the final touches done

I got it back and was so excited i went and shot a few photos that night.. I drove it as it was for a little bit to make sure the air ride was working with no leaks, at one point i had a small leak but it was just an air hose not gripped right in the manifold. Once it started to get warmer out I started shopping around for a set of rims..

WCI CC10's
5x100
Front: Nankang 215/40/18 18x8.5 et 30
Rear: Nankang 215/40/18 18x9.5 et 30

I would like to do more of a stretch in the future and run smaller tires but we will see what happens.

I drove the car like that for a month or so and then sourced out a Turbo S rear bumper.. Im currently looking for a front one also, if you have one let me know!

I got bored one day and a friend gave me an old stock jetta front lip he had laying around and as a joke i said i was going to put it on my car but it turned out better then i thought.
This is my ride height if I am driving alone

The next step for me was an exhaust, I got sick of people tail gating me so this is kind of a warning and if they continued to get that close i would just floor it in first gear and they would get some black smoke and back off.

I re-did my air ride setup and got a frame notch around the same time. I wanted to stop the body from resting on the driveshaft. The notch worked for that but now i need to stop my tie rods from hitting, gotta go down with an air chisel and clean it up a little bit just so that the weight of the car doesn't mess the steering rack up.
Aired out after the notch..

Redoing the trunk setup was a fun experience, it was my first time ever bending copper. I bought a $30 pipe bender to make sure i wouldn't be wasting all my copper trying to bend it without kinking it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The first planning steps, I knew exactly how I wanted to do the setup just had to figure out how to make it work.

I got the basic measurements and took the frame out and built a more solid version with a compartment for each item. I carpeted the front of it and put it into the car so i was able to move the tank and get the car functional.

From this point i added 3 2x4's into the rear by the spare as supports, measured the top pieces for plywood, cut them, carpeted them, then started the coppper. I was real busy working that I didnt take much photos of the process but heres the end result.

After all that work I ended up taking home 2nd place a local car show.

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
Dude you've been quite busy:D Really diggin the air ride setup. If ever I go low, air-ride will be the order.

I love the body setup too. I love my front end, but want a TurboS tail. Nice work:bigthumb:

Choice pics as well...job well done mate:goodjob:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts