NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jude's Momma
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, unfortunately I do not have a name for my baby. I bought him in May. At first I thought he was a SHE ... but when he whistled at the neighborhood RED VW NB passing by, I was in complete and utter SHOCK! (Red is what I wanted, being my favorite color!)

I've always wanted a NB (well, since I was in high school). After a a rough divorce, no car for 6 months and two kids to transport - I was highly blessed with my NB!

I bought him for $2k....but he needed some TLC. The door panels were falling apart, which I am learning happens, the visors needed replacing, the A/C needed fixed, the headliner was torn out, the rims didn't match, the glove box broken ... and I do not know if this NB had an arm rest - because the back looks like a cup holder would belong, not an arm rest...so I'm not sure! Obviously, I don't know much about NB's.

So, being on a budget...I went to a local mechanic to save $$$...and I got ripped off by a mechanic ($315) to work on my temp. sensor and A/C, which put the car in worse condition than when I dropped it off (needless to say I was crying by this point!)....to which I found another mechanic that has been a huge blessing trading me my time for his - to work on my NB.

I bought the 2 door panels, the glove box, sun visors for $115 at a junk yard and the BF and I put them in. Then I landed 4 factory rims for $60 bucks for all 4!!! :) So, I got the A/C compressor for $125 from a family junk yard so I need to get that put in and I got a factory CD player -- to which I installed myself ... having little prior knowledge of installing these kinds of things...:banana:

In conclusion, I need to replace the 4 speakers (they've been blown since I purchased the car), get a headliner put in, get someone to get the A/C compressor in and a PAINT JOB (I'm dreading that!)

Sooo, here are my pics...comments welcome! :):):)OHHH! BTW: I'm neither a fan or NON-Fan of the FL Gators...it was on the car at purchase and the BF is a DIE-HARD Gators fan. I took it as a sign and kept it on......for now at least! :p

Thanks for looking!
Teddi

THE BOTTOM PICTURE IS WHAT COLOR I'D LIKE TO PAINT HIM --- but then I think HE'D be a SHE??? I'm undecided on keeping it the same color ... being on a budget, I think he's staying blue.

BEFORE

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

5.gif

6.gif

7.gif

AFTER

b1.gif
New budget friendly rims (I have to center snap-in pieces put in now ... I had just come from my mechanic, he had just put them on for me.)
b2.gif
I had to revamp my keys too ...
b3.gif
Thought this was funny, mine is on the left, I had no idea who owned the one on the right - but it made me super envious that his/hers was much nicer than mine! HAHA!
b4.gif
New door panels...
b5.gif
New glove box...

MY GOAL - or SIMILAR
b6.gif
My DREAM...(this is NOT my car...but whoever's it is - is AMAZING)

·
Jude's Momma
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, yes, I LOVE that paint job on the bottom -- however I think it'd make my NB a GIRL! Maybe her name will be TRANNIE bc his sex will change??? HAHA! :werd:

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I'm so happy that your New Beetle found you! :)

Thank you for working on bringing it back to life. :p

Now is the time for a custom headliner. Several Org members have done that. It's not really easy, but it is personally theirs.

That Chromaflair paint was a factory color, and will be expensive to paint yours to, but it is beautiful! :bigthumb:

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Welcome to the org!

I´m glad that Bug is now in good hands; it is crying for TLC :)
Good progress so far :thup:

·
Jude's Momma
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all! I do love that chromaflare....but I think I can work with the blue...I do want a girlie touch -- however, I really really feel that my NB needs to stay a HIM ... just my "feel". He is in good hands ... and he most definitely drives much better when I "talk nice". Am I the only one that actually LAYS MY HANDS on my car while driving and talks to Him???? I thought it was kind of weird when I first did it -- but we are bonding...I am learning what he DOESN'T like. Hopefully with everyone's input I can get Him running beautifully! He is running much better than when I bought Him .... soooo Im most def. blessed!

XOXO CIAO!

·
Jude's Momma
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've decided on a name!!!

I am a lifelong BEATLES fan .... so Ive come to realize that my NB's name will be....

...Jude...

Now I dont feel so bad that he didnt have a name! :)

·
Jude's Momma
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello ALL! Its been a hot minute! Just wanted to update, Jude is getting a paint job today ... and I miss him so! :( I was going to paint him a purple color but I am thinking Im going to stick to the factory blue...boooo, but Ill post pictures as soon as he's finished! Cross your fingers, I feel like he's at the doctors!

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Great little Bug :)

Project cars are the best, you learn as you go - and the progression of changes is always nice to look back on. I've already done five or six mods to my NB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts