NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1999 Beetle

Hello all, this will be my thread to chronicle the progress of my ride. My father (Kevin G, hence KG) passed away in late 2010 and I inherited his VW. He had only owned it for 8 months :( and loved every day with it. He called it his "Tiger Bug". However, I already have a fleet of Mustang GTs and a Z71 therefore it has just been sitting there. I considered selling it but its a piece of my father I can see everyday. Well, today I had enough and decided it was go time. I changed the oil, put in a new battery, added some fuel stabilizer/fresh fuel and after a few tries, it started right up!! I'm going to register it so that my wife and I can enjoy it.

Plans:

1) newer style mirrors
2) add fog lights
3) euro spec light switch and perform DRL delete
4) install my extra Alpine radio task completed 21-April
5) repair door panels
6) replace broken door lock switch
7) buy the decals (member on here) to refresh scuffed steering wheel spokes
8) skid plate to protect oil pan
9) fix a/c or cooling fan issue [currently addressing this issue 24-March-2014]
10) maybe upgrade the exhaust, something deep but not ricey (suggestions?)
11) redo window tint
12) fix door panels
13) ditch the fugly 16's for some 18's
14) lower 1.5"
15) new headlights [fixed, 23-March-2014]

Here's a few pictures:

The plastic engine cover is cracked and the plastic dipstick tube is also cracked. Are those "easy" to acquire?

Even though it has been sitting on cement for a few years, it needed a bath VERY badly:

Still has the out dates license plate, I refuse to turn it in:

First drive:

·
Registered
223 Posts
That radio is......... interesting. :)

Glad to see that you're keeping this nice beetle on the road. Welcome to the forum as well!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That radio is......... interesting. :)

Glad to see that you're keeping this nice beetle on the road. Welcome to the forum as well!
Thanks, it runs really good despite sitting for so long!! The radio is AM/FM/iPod/XM only and I've had it since '07. Kinda don't like it but its what I have for the time being.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A warm welcome to the greatest Beetle ORG on the web. We love photos, so, I hope you'll share a batch of yours!
:) I will be happy to oblige with many more just as soon I start driving it. For now, here's a few of my wife pitching in. My dad had put some New Orleans Saints Fluer de lis magnets on that baked in the sun until they wouldn't readily come off:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The paint on my wheels has started to peel and the machined face has a cloudy finish. I think I will strip them and paint them black. To further the theme, I will also tint all the lights some.

Rough draft:

Ok, I won't completely black out my lights that much perhaps more like this:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The more I read through old threads, the more I'm learning just how cool my vdub really is!! It's kinda cool to know ill have little trouble irritating the local ricer contingent. Even with an AEG (see, I learned that too!)

Also, I learned why the AEG clatters at idle now. Using conventional, Autozone branded 5w/30 was an ill-conceived idea. I will change it out for Castrol Syntec blend 5w-40 (for two oil changes) before running a full synthetic Mobil 1 5w-40.

Freakin noob...but we all start somewhere right?

Things to repair/replace:

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
The two "dimples" on the running boards, are jack points. Just so you know..... :wink2:

I like the wheels. The car looks great! If it were mine, I'd add only window tint, and maybe front clears. But, that's me, the Queen of Stock. :queen:

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After 200 miles of driving, I've found a few minor things I dont like:

1) no cruise desired
2) cup holders are a joke
3) no arm rest kinda sucks
4) auto trans kinda sucks

After reading through countless threads on the org, I've decided that I will not try to coax any power from the AEG. Besides, I have a Mustang with a big stroker motor to drive when I need a speed fix. I still want to swap in a VR6 mainly for that sexy exhaust note :D

However, I have found plenty of things I really like:

1) comfortable seats
2) better than anticipated brakes
3) handles better than I expected
4) sips fuel (compared to my Z71)
5) good curb appeal (Everyone loves the Bug!!:cool: )
6) easily manuevered through traffic

I will post my initial gas mileage numbers becasue I'm interested to see how well it does.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts