NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I start the air, or fans from ambient, cold or hot weather. The first 10 seconds smells like cat.....help, my dogs not happy lol

·
Registered
153 Posts
There is only one thing that smells like cat pee in a car and that is gear oil, but I doubt that is what it is.

This time of year the cats are at it like there is no tomorrow and that includes scenting, could be that a cat has been under the hood to sleep or managed to scent in the hood vents. If this is the case you may need to change the AC Filter, it should be changed once a year anyway. When I change our AC filter I usually put a couple of gel air fresheners in the housing, this way the car smells great for months. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Everytime I start the air, or fans from ambient, cold or hot weather. The first 10 seconds smells like cat.....help, my dogs not happy lol
This is likely due to bacteria/fungal contamination on the evaporator and/or the drainage system for any condensation off of the evaporator for the A/C.

Or contamination on the cabin air filter. This is the easy thing to check, so start here.

FRAM actually has an instruction video on their web site showing how to replace the cabin air filter.

Instructions | FRAM® FreshBreeze

·
5/23/10 <3
10,888 Posts
Gear oil smelling like cat pee? Gear oil has a foul odor, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as cat pee!

I would x2 the suggestion on the air filter. I would change both the engine and cabin filter honestly. And old cabin filter can certainly cause odors when the AC is kicked on. Its just from moisture and stuff that gets caught up in the filter.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Also, as a maintenance procedure, I use a can of spray I buy at Autozone or Pep boys. You spray it in the vents and turn on the a/c and then the heater. Often customers complain of a "musty" smell when they turn on the air or heater. This seems to do the trick. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Also, as a maintenance procedure, I use a can of spray I buy at Autozone or Pep boys. You spray it in the vents and turn on the a/c and then the heater. Often customers complain of a "musty" smell when they turn on the air or heater. This seems to do the trick. :)
That is likely an anti-fungal and/or anti-bacterial spray that kills what's growin' on your evaporator.

Do you have a bottle of it around, or recall the brand? I wonder what the active ingredients are.

·
Registered
444 Posts
To be more precise, you spray it into the systems air intake, which is usually located beneath the hood cowl near where the windsheild wipers park. Then you turn on the A/C for however long it says on the can. I always turn on the heater after the A/C as well. I do have a can in my car with my detailing supplies. I will check in the AM and post the name of it and what's in it on here. ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Cabin air filter is the likely culprit, you won't stop this by spraying the vents. Most people forget or neglect to change it as it is hidden and takes time to get to.

And yes .. to me gear oil smells like cat pee, I was once taking out a gearbox when my 'helper' let it go, I had to support it as to not let it hit the floor. In the mean time the box emptied it's contents on my head, I had to work all day smelling like cat pee .. Not nice :D

·
5/23/10 <3
10,888 Posts
You must be working with some other gear oil...I've never smelled any that smelled like cat pee. I've grown up with a lot of cats so I know that smell well and that's not what gear oil smells like!

·
Registered
950 Posts
To be more precise, you spray it into the systems air intake, which is usually located beneath the hood cowl near where the windsheild wipers park. Then you turn on the A/C for however long it says on the can. I always turn on the heater after the A/C as well. I do have a can in my car with my detailing supplies. I will check in the AM and post the name of it and what's in it on here. ;)
It might be more effective as a cleaning/disinfecting agent if you were to remove the cabin air filter prior to spraying. I suspect if you're spraying into the car with the filter in place that the filter itself absorbs a lot of the cleaning agents.

Since the cabin filter can be easily removed and replaced it's really any build up of bacteria/fungus on the evaporator that needs to be considered.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You must be working with some other gear oil...I've never smelled any that smelled like cat pee. I've grown up with a lot of cats so I know that smell well and that's not what gear oil smells like!
Funny thing, fresh ground coffee smells like cat pee to me. Not the coffee once brewed, just that first minute or so after grinding the beans, the oils must have the same pH level or something so it triggers my "FKDFHAS CATTSSSSSSS DIE DIE DIE" hate for our cats.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We seem to be misunderstanding each other here, cat pee is not so bad as like you I have cat's myself and have had for years, the spell is more like the scent from tom cats rather than pee.

Even so, this topic does not help get rid of the smell in Campervan's Beetle so whatever the smell is it needs to be disposed of :)

Campervan, please ignore the conversation regarding the nasal qualities of feline urine and other secretions and change your filter, spray your ducts and if all else fails .. open yer windows :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
i just purchased my beetle and everytime you turned on the air it had a nasty stench. so i pulled the dash apart and found a bunch of leaves and the cabin air filter was beyond nasty. I would purchase a new cabin filter and change it out to see if it solves your problem.

·
Registered
950 Posts
i just purchased my beetle and everytime you turned on the air it had a nasty stench. so i pulled the dash apart and found a bunch of leaves and the cabin air filter was beyond nasty. I would purchase a new cabin filter and change it out to see if it solves your problem.
Yah, some people have posted pictures of their filter and it was a birds nest of leaves and garbage. Just add water to create a near perfect bacteria and fungal growth media. Hot from the sun hitting the dash, not directly in the sun so protected from UV, organic material for food.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Spray cleaner for air vents

Okay, here are the two brands of spray cleaners I have used to clean the musty smell out of car interiors. One is called "Clean Air". It is a kit and sells on Amazon.com. for $17.99. The other is WURTH A/C & Heating System Treatment. It is $10, also on Amazon.com. I bought them both at local detailer supply houses but most people shop on Amazon, so there you are. They have both worked fine for me. I realize that if you have a car that has a build-up of leaves and crud, the only way to fully clean it is to remove that air cabin filter. But I am an auto detailer, and that isn't part of my repertoire, so to speak. I do know this: Most people DO NOT keep the cowl area clean. 90% of the cars I detail are filled with leaves, mud and such crud as to make the proper drainage of said area impossible. This causes the musty smell and worse. Moreover, on some cars lt leads to rust. I do clean this area thoroughly and warn the customer to clean this area out when washing their car. Myself, I do not park under trees unless the cover is on my car. That area is a BEAR to clean out on the NB. I did it when I first purchased mine and I don't relish doing it again. :rolleyes:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,888 Posts
Its not that bad getting the cowl off. I'd personally just clean everything up and stick a new filter in and see what happens.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Check your cabin filter,often small animals get in ther and make a nest. They are not clean.They most likely smell like cat P. You will be suprised when you get the cover off and then spray well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for bumping this old thread but I've finally gotten rid of the smell of cat urine from my home and I just have to share this with you guys.

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out: NoMoreCatPee.com

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this. Cheers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
Sweely
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing