NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Zoomer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last summer I bought the most beautiful Beetle ever. Squirtle has treated me really well over the past seven months, and yesterday was no different. I was making a left turn where I was the only person who had a stop sign. Keep in mind there is a large snow mound to my left. Also keep in mind I am a VERY cautious driver. I was at the stop sign for about 45 seconds before I felt it was safe for me to go. I obviously looked both ways before turning, but a woman to my left was going 45 mph in a 30 mph zone, so I didn't have enough time to react while I was in the middle of my turn, since she came up way to fast for me to speed up. She then t-boned me and I spun out. The car is drive able, but I'm not sure if the damages are worth the car. But I seriously cannot stress how grateful I am to be alive.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
Yet, another New Beetle driver, here to tell the tale. :eek:

So sorry about the demise of your NB. He/she sacrificed his/herself for you. I hope you consider another New Beetle as a replacement.

I'm glad you are OK. :)

·
Zoomer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yet, another New Beetle driver, here to tell the tale. :eek:

So sorry about the demise of your NB. He/she sacrificed his/herself for you. I hope you consider another New Beetle as a replacement.

I'm glad you are OK. :)
Thank you so much I appreciate your concern! I'm actually suprised I came out alive, and so was the police officer. He said that if I was in any other older car like a Cavalier or something I would have been seriously injured or dead. I only have a couple bruises but i'm okay. And I am seriously considering another Beetle they are amazing.

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
Hey, mine might be for sale! :D

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Glad you are not seriously hurt.:)

I am sorry your beetle will be a write off.:(

Time to hunt for another one, Some people keep something from the old car to put on the new one i.e bud vase, door handle cover etc. keeps the old one alive through the new one.

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Oh, I´m sad to hear, what happened to you and your pretty Bug :(
Luckily you are all right!

Sideimpacts are always extremely dangerous; I´m glad that your Bug managed to protect you so well!

Nice to hear, that you´ll buy another Bug for you...

Greetings from Finland.

Tapsa :yaya:

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I'm actually suprised I came out alive, and so was the police officer. He said that if I was in any other older car like a Cavalier or something I would have been seriously injured or dead.
Or an old air-cooled Beetle......

I can relate to the snowbanks. I'm up in Wisconsin, where some are so high you can't see anyone until they're about 50 feet away. Good to hear you came out OK.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Wow...my Techno Blue had very similar damage in my accident in 2011. Though not as severe, since it was a diagonal side impact vs. a t-bone. But very similar:

Mine was a '99 with just shy of 102k on it and it was beyond totaled. Glad you walked away. I had some airbag injuries and a sprained hand, but I couldn't be more grateful for my car. Despite the door being busted on the outside, inside the car, it was hard to tell anything happened, other than the airbags going off (at least on first glance...later on realized the entire frame was tweaked so things wouldn't go back into place inside).

Good luck getting this all sorted out. And so glad you walked away! Cars can be replaced, but people can't. It hurts to lose a beloved car, but its much better than the alternative!

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
That is so sad to see (especially since I had a techno blue one as well!) but I am so glad you are okay and that the little bug did it's job. I know how freaked out I was when my airbags etc. went off in my Jetta wreck, but I realized that I would buy another VW because of it.

Glad you are okay. The beetle can indeed be replaced, you cannot!

·
Zoomer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all of your comments thank you guys so much for the support! And good news...I can fix my bug! I'm going to go to a junkyard to pick up a new door sometime next week, luckily they have a few in stock. Luckily there wasn't any damage done to the engine, but my bug will look pretty gnarly until my claim goes through and I can get money to get all the body work done for the car. I would buy another bug in a heartbeat though...it's just the fact that I am a poor college student currently and my parents are also going through a tough time, so I have to make due with what I have. I am so lucky and happy to be alive though to share this story, and to tell EVERYONE not to speed ever! If she was going the speed limit it would have been much less of an impact. It just goes to show that it's never a bad idea to be cautious!

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
Really? The frame is not bent? :confused:

·
Zoomer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really? The frame is not bent? :confused:
My step-dad is going to take a look at it. He said it might be but he has to take a look under the car hes going to look at it tomorrow. But if it is the lady who hit me has to pay about $3,500 for body repair, but I might just get another car because I think the frame is bent. I have a picture of the inside ill take a better picture tomorrow of the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you so much I appreciate your concern! I'm actually suprised I came out alive, and so was the police officer. He said that if I was in any other older car like a Cavalier or something I would have been seriously injured or dead. I only have a couple bruises but i'm okay. And I am seriously considering another Beetle they are amazing.
glad your ok.mine looked just like that at 50,000 miles.i bought it because it had no rust and was a low milage car.cut the side and rocker,and door frame off another one,used another door, and a roof panel off another one and drove it 5 years.has been a good car.i had to rebuild the whole car though as my alberta work stint took its toll on it.i loved my car so much I did the lift kit and everything.thes cars are wicked solid and heavy,and probably one of the safer ones out there.the bodyshell and doors are wicked heavy.i liked the doors so much,i shortened a beetle door to make a new lower doorshell for my 35 ford :)it turned out beautiful,so im doing anotherone.anyone that ever tried to cut apart and section one of these doors to repourpose it for another partcan certainly appreciate the workmanship and design of it.they are very good quality

1 - 15 of 15 Posts