VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came outside and found all my coolant in a pool..the huge leak is down below air intake in that mess of hoses..almost to the bottom of the motor i can't see it. I'm not real mechanical but I can do the badics..

Here's the question any ideas? I don't want to rip into this if it is a head gasket or freeze plug.. that would go to the mechanic shop..any ideas what is down there ..right hand side ..is there a thermostat down there or a freeze plug?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If you mean the passenger aide and find the coolant, coming out under the crank pulley/harmonic balancer, that is typically the water pump bearing is bad. Once the bearing is bad, the seals leaks and when really bad, the coolant will come out quickly. There are many other possible leak sources, i find a cooling system pressure tester; is a effective way, to find the source of the problem.

Because of the possibility, of timing belt damage, bent valves or overheating, blowing a head gasket; i wouldn't drive the vehicle, until the problem is resolved, bad parts replaced.

If this is beyond your capability; then, getting it towed to a repair shop, maybe the best way to go and not damage the engine, causing the need for even more expensive repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
So, what has your inspection revealed? I have found a cooling system pressure test kit; has helped me pinpoint cooling system leaks without running the engine and overheating things (i have used the harbor freight radiator test kit).

There is a cooling flange off the head; that sometimes, can have a plug with a o-ring and you might see, if that came off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at where you suggested.im not thinking I need a pressure test now..it is definitely coming from that area..it's 95 with 90 percent humidity right now.. I'll check when it cools down tonight.

That diagram Pic was excellent..that is definitely the area it's coming from.. how hard to get that out . I pulled the cold air filter box for visability.. any thing I need to know before I go prying hoses off ect?

I can't say thanks enough for you taking the time to help me.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10-4 I will do that they are not that expensive..unfortunately today I couldn't get to it but tomorrow if it's not 100 degrees I'll get all them hoses put of the way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I attempted to take off some hoses today but so dam hit..my old body said not gonna happen today.. question how do the map lights come on

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
There were typically buttons on each light; (roof, rear view mirror) and then the wheel type switch near the headlight/foglight. If the door lock micro switch is bad; the light may not come on. Each light, has one mode that is: manual on and automatic on, when the door is opened, then i think off..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it's the little light under the visors.. no buttons ..just a light with no control on them...the door sensors work with the interior dome lights when opening door ect..

Do ya think there is more then one door switch controlling them
.I replaced bulbs checked the fuses.. other then that I'm clueless

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Good question; checking for power and studying the wiring diagrams would be next?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Note: on my 2002 Turbo S; the "vanity lamp" above the sun visor; comes on, when the mirror is opened (cover slid over) and a integrated switch, turns on the light, otherwise it would be on all the time?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Billy. I asked this question in another post however all the more help the better. My cig(power) outlets worked fine when I used a portable vacuum..

Next time neither outlets in front work..

Any ideas

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Basics, check for power and fuses; the vac may draw more power/amps then the fuse can handle. Sometimes, junk will get into the cigarette outlets causing power problems or blown fuses, blow them out with compressed air, recheck for power.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dang your good..used a q tip type cleaner then replaced the fuse for hood measure ducked it up with a vacuum..bam works perfectly. Again. Thanks.. this restoration is coming along.
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a g68 sensor out I believe based on diagnostic and performance
.started with 19 codes .moss on the side and everywhere it could get a hold of.
Interior was something I could not believe could be so dirty and stained it wouldn't be able to be restored
. Now down to a abs light and 2 codes relating to that sensor no communication code..

I can't tell ya how much you helped just knowing I can reach out and have you respond was nice.. I'll send you photos when completed..rims on the way..new side panel inserts a couple of speakers and these dang codes but I can finally see the light..may have a few minor things but if I do I'm sure I'll reach out
.thanks again.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts