VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have a g68 sensor out I believe based on diagnostic and performance
.started with 19 codes .moss on the side and everywhere it could get a hold of.
Interior was something I could not believe could be so dirty and stained it wouldn't be able to be restored
. Now down to a abs light and 2 codes relating to that sensor no communication code..

I can't tell ya how much you helped just knowing I can reach out and have you respond was nice.. I'll send you photos when completed..rims on the way..new side panel inserts a couple of speakers and these dang codes but I can finally see the light..may have a few minor things but if I do I'm sure I'll reach out
.thanks again.
[/QUOTE
Post codes, we can discuss things, diagnostic troubleshooting steps and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post codes, we can discuss things, diagnostic troubleshooting steps and go from there.

Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Gauge Car
Font Technology Electronic device Audio equipment Signage
Font Material property Technology Electronic device Plant

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Airbag is unplugged since I had to remove passengers seat to clean ..

Flashing Brake light with beeping noise and there. I changed out the brakes on front.. I don't remember if they were on before..so many lights on ..

I am most concerned at this time with those codes..any ideas

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
For the esp/brake problem check fuse #9.

I recently worked on a 2000 bug for a girl with a flashing , beeping brake light and it turned out to be just a fuse, #9 to be exact.

codes as follow.

F1(10A) Heated wind screen washer jets, heated door mirrors, glove box lamp
F2(10A) Indicators, head lamp adjustment (gas discharge head lamps)
F3(5A) Fog lamp relay, lights
F4(5A) Licence plate lamps
F5(7,5A) Air-conditioning (AC),heated seats, cruise control, convenience equipment, engine coolant blower motor control module, parking aid, multifunction steering wheel
F6(5A) Central locking
F7(10A) Reversing lamps
F8(5A)Telephone
F9(5A) Electronic stability programme (ESP), Haldex coupling (2001^), anti-lock brake system (ABS)
F10(5A/10A/15AEnginemanagement
F11(5A) Instrument panel, AT selector lever lock
F12(7,5A) Data link connector (DLC), telephone(^04/99)
F13(10A) Stop lamps
F14(5A/10A) Interior lamps, central locking
F15(5A) ESP (05/99^), instrument panel, automatic transmission (AT)
F16(10A) AC compressor clutch, engine coolant pump motor, engine coolant blower motor control module
F17(7,5A) Door lock barrel heater (^04/99)
F18(10A) RH headlamp- high beam
F19(10A) LH headlamp-high beam
F20(10A/15A)RH headlamp-low beam, head lamp adjustment
F21(10A/15A) LH headlamp-low beam, headlamp adjustment
F22(5A) RH side/tail lamps
F23(5A) LH side/tail lamps
F24(20A) Wind screen wash/wipe system
F25(25A) AC/heater blower motor, air conditioning (AC)
F26(20A/25A) Heated rear window
F27(10A/15A) Rear screen wiper
F28(15A) Fuel pump
F29(10A/15A) Engine management
F30(20A) Sunroof
F31(20A) Brake assist (05/99^), automatic transmission (AT)
F32(10A/15A) Engine management
F33(20A) Headlamp washers
F34(10A) Engine management
F35(30A) Trailer socket
F36(15A) Front fog lamps, rear fog lamps
F37(10A) Audio unit, convenience equipment, navigation system (05/99^), S-contact
F38(15A) Boot lid/tail gate lamp, central locking, convenience equipment, remote fuel flap/boot lid/tailgate release
F39(15A) Hazard warning lamps
F40(20A) Horn
F41(15A) Cigarette lighter
F42(25A) Audio unit, audio unit output amplifier, navigation system
F43(10A) Engine management
F44(15A) Heated seats
/

Relay box is under the panel on the left side of the instrument Volkswagen Golf 4.

1(53) Horn relay
2(18/100) Ignition auxiliary circuits relay
4(409) Fuel pump relay/engine control (EC) relay
5(192/377/389) Wind screen wash/wipe intermittent relay
6(192/377/389) Wind screen wash/wipe intermittent relay
7(94) Throttle motor relay (^04/99)
8(53) Heated door mirrors (05/99^)
9(53) Fuel pump relay (4WD Diesel),l
10(180) Glow plug relay (some models)
11(175) Starter motor inhibitor switch relay/reversing lamps relay (some models
12(109) Engine control (EC)relay(Diesel)
13(53/181) Engine coolant blower motor relay (^04/99)
14(53) Fog lamps relay (^04/99)
15(79/407) Boot lid/tail gate release relay
16(185) Starter motor inhibitor switch relay (some models)
17(53) Fog lamps relay (05/99^)
18(450) Steering wheel multifunction control module (05/99^)
19(450) Steering wheel multifunction control module(05/99^)
F1
F2(30A) Electric windows(some models)
F3(15A) Alarm system (indicators)
F4(15A) Alarm system horn
F5
F6(30A) Seat adjustment
F7
F8(30A) Electric windows circuit breaker (some models)

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
For the other problems like the airbag, abs light issues and trans G68 sensor; troubleshooting problems, viewing live data, will probably require a vw factory level scan tool. Let us know, what scan tool you are using; it looks like a generic obd II scanner with limited capabilities.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes it is very generic limited functionality.. but it gets me a idea.. since I started with 19 codes. It gave a reference point..

Great help here helped me work thru them but thus is the one I am afraid I need to take in ..I have restored this by myself as a gift to my wife on anniversary ( our first date we took this car ) and wanted to do it all..saved the hardest in my mind until last..

BTW...Yep it was a fuse on the brake another great fix..

QUESTION. Do you think it would be worth the money I upgrade diagnostic and ask for help or take into the shop?..

You guys have nailed every issue so far ..but ..I'm reading wiring? Tranny issue. Sensor.. if I got a more intuitive meter can someone here interpret it.. I'd really like to finish it myself.. been hitting this thing for 3 mos..so close..I'm no mechanic by any strech.. I can replace stuff bolted down but diagnostic is my out of my lane.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Typically, a diagnosis and repair from a VW repair shop, will cost more then a vw scan tool and pay for itself the first time you use it for a repair. For example, say your G68 trans speed sensor and afterwards, you will have it for future repairs. The better VW scanners, like vcds by ross tech; have excellent resale vale, if you ever get rid of your VW in the future (many times close or more then retail price you paid for it to begin with).

A VW that is 20+ years old, as you have experienced; will need ongoing maintenance and repairs. A VW scanner, can be a requirement to do many things and complete work that needs to be done, to keep it on the road, long term. While a initial investment, it will save you money in the ling run and enable you to finally, control your repair process, being dependent on a vw repair shop, can get expensive quickly, costing more then the car is worth many times over.

You have done very well so far; a vw scanner, is one tool, that has advanced capabilities required to troubleshoot, diagnose the more advanced issues you have left. It is very satisfying to learn how the car works, diagnose and finally repair things yourself, saving a 'ton of dough', in the process! :)

If you are ready to invest in a vw factory level scanner; let us know and we can discuss your options.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You make a good point I considered some of the points never consideredresale option..even with that 30 dollar reader I was way money ahead..like so far I'm roughly at $3210 ahead of quotes..
Timing belt, Alternator, maf sensor ,brakes, tune up, hood latch, dirty filter(this was a actually a sensor)stereo wiring for cd staged in trunk. Door panel insert coolant flange and just earlier today the flashing brake signal..(they believed it might be a wheel sensor for 125 they'd test it) not included is the cleaning of the carpets the trunk painting to remove a large and bad case of clear coat and paint that someone had use a can of spray paint and covered it up .no sanding no primer just spray painted with the usual stripes in coloration..

My wife has kept a generic record as she calls and gets quotes on what I'm doing..its fun now to her..it also let's her know I'm not crazy restoring what she now has dubbed Herbie..the love bug..

That being said with purchase and shipping from California and partsI have spent most my budget , what ranges we talking of? 400 hundred dollars ? or more?

After reading what I just wrote..duh.. ok of course I need one.. I have infinite more understanding of this engine then when I bought this cheap code reader but now it's can do no more from me. but now I need more information because these are power train/tranny and braking..
What do I need so I can post pics and have you guys try to interpit for me.. so far the majority of that savings are from you guys advice anyway.. . Or other post on this site..many you guys helping out others. Then a utube search to see the how to..

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
VW scan tools:

VCDS by Ross Tech ($199; usb cable and app); the top tier vw factory level scan tool, requires Windows based pc, laptop, tablet, sub notebook or other device to run. USA based support; online, forums, phone call in, email, etc. Riss Tech really shines in customer support; a very mature product, used everyday in pro vw shops all over the world and true USA support, support employees, many being former vw factory trained dealership techs.

VCDS HEX-V2 Enthusiast
- USB Interface -

OBDEleven, wireless obd port dongle; 1st gen. white colored plastic version ($65 basic - $100 for pro version); runs on Android devices, phone tablet, etc. Eastern European support; online email and forums, many complaints about lack of help with product issues .

Hand held scanners: "VAG" Chinese knockoffs sold on Amazon; $20-$150+. Email based support and many times poor or no response to customers needs.

For more in-depth comparisons; there are some videos comparing vcds vs obd11:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I will second the vcds by Ross Tech recommendation , I have one and when working on a vw they are invaluable to have. At $199 they are hands down the best deal out there. You get a factory level proprietary scan tool for far less than any other manufacturers specific scan tool.

Ford ,GM, Nissan etc all have their own , typically costing several thousand dollars for the tool itself and then a couple hundred more per month subscription for updates. Vcds is $199 with free updates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ok the Ross tech I can't get asap..10 days out to deliver so I ordered one from Amazon ..that being said can you guys interpit this or should I just cancel and wait for the ross.. the Amazon will be here tomorrow..thoughts?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I called them and let them know a project car for my wife as a present with anniversary looming..

These guys are good they shipped it while I was on the phone. Said they were glad to be of assistance and part of the team.. they actually used those words.. wow.. from 10 days to monday..

Some serious good customer service..

So I used expedite 2 day service and canceled the Amazon order before it shipped..

Ill.let ya know when it gets here ..you guys can tell me what to look for..

I appreciate much.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Just so there are no suprises , you are aware you do need a laptop to download the program from Ross-tech's website and the a usb port to connect the cable from you cars obd port to the laptop?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yep. Sounds cool actually.. i work from home and onsite at the facilities i managing use computers of all shapes and sizes ..I have plenty based on needs..

21 - 40 of 40 Posts