NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came out of work late thursday night, and said to myself as I walked up to Penny(my NB), "Did I really park THAT crooked?" Then as I came around to the driver's side, I see pieces of my turn signal lens laying on the ground. Someone hit me!

The car was pushed a good 2-3 feet, I was orginally parked almost parallel to the lines, and ended up at about a 65 degree angle. Damage is relativley minor, and as far as I can tell, nothing mechanical is broken.
Things damaged:
- Left front trun signal lens smashed
- Good sized dent on the seam between bumper and left front fender
- Various and numerous scrathes and scrapes
- A few small cracks in both bumper and fender
- Fender liner popped out of alignment
- Headlight lens popped out
- Also found various pices of black plastic, which I think came form the headlight housing. Could be something inside the bumper or fender was damaged. All the lights work, just the lenses were broken.

Luckily for me, the person who hit me left a note, and I've talked to them. Their preference is to take the car to the dealer for an estimate, and they'll cut me a check. If they balk at that, my insurance company will go after them for payment.

From waht I can tell, I'll need all this replaced:
-Headlight(The entire thing, I can see places were things have borken off on it, but it DOES work.)
-Turn signal
-Front Bumper
-Left Front Fender
-Color match to my car, and labor.

What's a ballpark figure on cost for this? I'm thinking $500-$1500 to have the dealer do it.

Another thing I could do was after getting the check, buy the parts myself and have a body shop do the install/paint, or just have them paint it and I'll install it. I think I can handel the install, I remember reading a guide to remove the bumper/fender ont he old forums. What would you guys reccommend? I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I've never worked on my car myself before. None of the grill/fog area was damaged, so I can just remove that and attach it to the new bumper.

I've found bumpers and fenders on ebay, but the price seems low. The seller has some negative feedback, but mostly about slow shipping.
Bumper:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-FRONT-BUMPER-COVER-1998-2004-VOLKSWAGEN-BEETLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33640QQitemZ8021423397QQrdZ1
Fender:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-LH-LEFT-FENDER-98-04-VOLKSWAGEN-BEETLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33644QQitemZ8020945262QQrdZ1
Seller's Info:http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=pershingautobodyparts03&iid=8021423397&frm=284
It looks like they do a large amount of business in auto body parts, so they must have quality parts. Does anyone have experience with them?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

Good thing I hadn't bought my clear corners yet!

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
I actually just had my headlight replaced due to an accident, it cost about $350 for the unit (lame). I know the turn signals cost about $30ish. I'm not sure about the rest, so I would just guesstimate on the others.

At least the guy left a note, that was very decent of him!

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Let the body shop handle the whole repair. Don't be surprised if there are things underneath that may be damaged. Nobody can appraise the damage on your car by reading your list. And don't be surprised if the damage is at least $1500, if not more. You only complicate the process by trying to buy your own parts and pieces, especially if trouble comes up later. You also will find most body shops won't touch your car if you try to handle it that way.
Sorry to hear of your trouble, but since its on somebody elses nickel, get your Beetle repaired the right way....by a professional.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i would estimate at LEAST $1500. i was wanting to have my front bumper repainted and that alone was going to be about $600. that was one piece, one color. body work is really expensive! if you can do the install yourself, go for it.

good luck and keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Hit and runned? That sucks! :banghead:

This is a job for his and your insurance. Make them pay! :mad:

And don't forget: Use the body shop of your choosing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got an appointment at the dealer for an estimate on wensday, and I'll have them do the install. I'll add the cost of some clear corners from TVA and silverstar bulbs to the repair cost.

I've been wanting to get my rocker panels painted dark green to add some contrast to the Cyber Green, (and then the rubber streaks from my work shoes won't show up as well) so perhaps I'll add that to the total cost too. I'm thinking 200-400$ from a local body shop for this? How close am I?

The only big bumper mods I want to do is a new front/rear grill piece from TMTuning, but both pices together are 800-900$, a bit much for this person who hit me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts