NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tinkerer Monkey
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

No good news today for me. We have those rains going and going for a week now. So, my wife was driving to school today and got stucked crossing a big puddle. She says car just stopped. Shut down. She started it up and drove away. Then parked it and drove home again in the evening. All seemed Ok. But OK it was not. When she got home she asked me to take it for a quck drive. As soon as i go in and started moving it out of the parking spot, Engine light came on. DAMN! I still went around the block to see what is up. Here is the scoop:

It starts and runs idles fine.
When you move its ok untill 0PSI of pressupre.
When it goes above 0 seems like a boost cut off kicks in, or it just looses boost. And light starts to flash. In a few seconds it stops flashing and stays on steady.

That is it. Any ideas on what it can be? I could not get my VAg going, so there is no code for now. But perhaps someone may have an idea on what it might be. Wife says there was no bangs, or pops or any other starnge sounds. Says it just stall.
Electrical? Something got wet? I dunt know, but hope someone may help.

Plz, let me know of any of your ideas.

Thanx.

Eugene

PS: any idea if i can even drive it like that? With light on steady.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Check the coil packs (these are over the spark plugs) check if one is loose or broken or wet , check the conections (engine OFF), you dont want to use the coilpack as a defibrilator :D

another thing that may be wrong is the throtlebody, you can take it out and clean it (more difficult)

My advice DONT DRIVE if the cel is flashing, have it scanned, but I think you have problems with th e coil packs

·
Tinkerer Monkey
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You really think its coilpack? Why would it be dropping boost? And why would it NOT turn CEL right away?

·
Tinkerer Monkey
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok got codes.

P0300 Random engine misfire
P0301 Misfire Detected
P0302 Misfire Detected
P0303 Misfire Detected
P0304 Misfire Detected
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circ Low Input

So, stuff got wet with posibility of screwedup MAF.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Id clean th maf with electronic cleaner, take out the sparkplugs ..check em... I hope the bug just had to much humifdity in the cambers because water destroys the engine.

Check the coilpacks, maybe they did not fail (NO CEL) but tthe missfires put your ecu in limp so to protect the engine.

check your airbox for water or any kind of proof that water entered the system.

·
Tinkerer Monkey
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.

I unpluged MAF, checked air box for wetness (None), pluged MAf back in. Called my mechanic and told him to roll out red carpet, because i am coming over ;)

Drove 12 miles there gently. Had no problem at all. Then we went for a ride together and beat on poor Booger some. It took all the beating with no hickups. We came backa and check codes and it had none.

I also took it to 110MPH on the way home, running up boost to 18PSI. It lifted its spoiler but had no objections of any kind.

I guess it just injected some moisture vapors and it dried up. I dunt know. But its seems to be just fine now.

Its all good that ends good, right?

Thanx for help.

Eugene

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
U R welcome, good it was just moisture and a scare....

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Loss of boost after puddle.

The one item that's been missed is the boost sensor located on the Inter-cooler that could have gotten wet or become disconnected. Without boost pressure info feeding the engine management module, no boost or a limp home mode will be activated until this sensor becomes operational again. I believe that the P0102 code( mass or volume air flow circ. low input) represents a boost sensor that's not working or a leak in the boost circuit from turbo to IC and on to intake manifold. Since the NB's do not use an intake manifold pressure sensor,or MAP, this sensor has to do double duty...
Since your turbo is working again producing boost, I suspect that this boost sensor got wet at the connection plug. After it dryed out, boost is on again...What do you think???Plausable??? It's something forgotten by most of us.. JK

·
Tinkerer Monkey
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually it does make sence. I did not think about it. Cudos to you, mny friend. Its a total posibility.

Eugene

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
You are THE MAN John...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts