NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I take my car to Clear Lake Volkswagen, 15100 Gulf Freeway. Houston, Texas 77034 on Wednesday 11-2-05 for a service. Thursday they call me to say they need the stock radio so they run some test on it. So Friday after work, I take them the stock radio and remove the after market radio. On Saturday they call me 30 min before they close that the car is ready. Roy the service guy say that if I could not pick it up. Monday would be fine. I ask Roy that if they where going to leave the car out side or in the shop. Roy said " All cars with after market parts are put in side the shop at night." Roy said " it would be no problem at all to put in shop over the weekend." So Monday about 1:20 pm Roger Reyna (Service Manger) call me to let me know that my car was one three car that was vandalize over the weekend. So after work I go to look at my car and see what is going to happen. Roger say he sorry but their nothing he can do! I ask him why the car was left out side and he " the guy working on the car left key in his tool box." But if my car was ready why would the guy working my car have the key. So that is why it was not able to be put in at night. So now even these the car was in their hands, I have to pay out of my pocket to get it fix. Now I am only guess but the damage are about $3500.00 or more plus all the person items. Now I do have insurance. But I have to put out $500.00 deductible. Also my insurance will not cover all the after market part I had in my car. So my question is should the dealer pay for all my loses because it was in their hands? Also the dealer still has my car. Any help will be great. Thank You, Aron

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
You can do 2 things, in my opinion....3 actually. 1) You can turn it into your insurance carrier, pay your deductible, and hope they decide to subrogate against the dealer for damages. The subro demands would include your $500 deductible to be returned to you. 2) You can sue the dealer in small claims court and let the judge set the verdict.....if you lose, you have insurance to fall back on....but this is more time consuming. 3) You can approach dealership upper management/ownership to have them accept responsibility. This is a bailment situation, so a legal expert can answer the question as to degree of care that the dealer must take with holding your car. I wish you the best of luck and sucess....sure is a bummer! :(

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
The car was in the care, therefor is is there responsibility until you payed and pick the car up. Car dealerships have insurance for this and all types of claims. You need to get ahold of the service manager, if that does not work ask for the area service manager. It is possible that they are trying to see if you buy their crap about nothing they can do, but stick to your guns. Demand that they not only make all repairs but replace all personal items that are damaged or missing. By all means mention that you have spoken with your attorney, and they would love to take on this claim. Be firm and all should be in your favor.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
slugo said:
The car was in the care, therefor is is there responsibility until you payed and pick the car up. Car dealerships have insurance for this and all types of claims. You need to get ahold of the service manager, if that does not work ask for the area service manager. It is possible that they are trying to see if you buy their crap about nothing they can do, but stick to your guns. Demand that they not only make all repairs but replace all personal items that are damaged or missing. By all means mention that you have spoken with your attorney, and they would love to take on this claim. Be firm and all should be in your favor.

Good Luck.
Dealerships do carry what is known s garagekeepers insurance. This coverage also carries deductibles that could be as high as $5000 in order to keep insurance costs down. Dealers tend to self-insure smaller losses if it makes monetary sense. How they cover customers cars could be in 1 of 2 ways....the first being as the first party to respond and pay for damages, and the other being the secondary party, when the car owner uses his/her insurance coverage first, if they have coverage then the dealer's insurance pays afterwards, should no coverage exist. Legally, any damages for personal property are taken on an actual cash value basis (depreciation taken), as the courts do not recognize replacement value. Unless a friend is an attorney, this amount of monetary damages is way too small for a lawyer to want to handle, with exception to writing a threatening letter.

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
No No No No......You don't pay a thing! The car was in their care, make them pay! :mad: Absolutely DO NOT pay out of your pocket! If they insist, still do not pay. File a lawsuit. If your car is undriveable, and they will not pay, have your insurance fix it, then have their lawyers go after them.

Do Not Pay! :mad: :mad:

I am so mad.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I would think that worst case scenario, this goes through your insurance, and the dealership pays your deductable. It was in their care, and they PROMISED you it would be stored inside. You can always say that if that weren't the case, you would have picked it up. They fell through. It's their fault.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope this give everyone a little more information. Here are some picture. This is just some of the stuff they stole and damage. They broke the driver window. They rip out my radio with my amp and woofers. They rip out my monster tach. They broke my bernt gauge pod that they could not take. They broke my center console. They broke the driver panel. They rip both front seat. They take all my CD. They also take my work jacket. The list go on and on.
Also I have talk to the GM of Volkswagen but that was no help at all. I have also call VW of America to file a complaint. But they can not do any thing because none of the dealer are own by them.
Well I have call my insurance and they will pay to fix it. But I have to pay the $500.00 deductible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes kcfoxie, The dealer has video camera or surveylence if you want to call it that. But not where my car was park at. It was park in the middle of both camera. As you can see in the picture. I take the picture from where my car is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Do not give in to there bulling. First thing I'd do is contact the local media and ask if they were interested in a report of leaving you out to hang. The dealership is totaly responsible for the claim, it was in their posession. Try not to report to your insurance because it will go againg to when you renew your insurance next time. You need to go directly to the onwer and let them know if it is nottaken care of to your aggrement that not only will your attorny be in touch, but also the local media. I know in our state we have this local station that is reporters on your side. And lots of time places like the dealership want nothing to do with bad press. Give it shot, do not let them tell you it is not their responsibilty.
Hang tough

·
or the '59. Drive em!
24 Posts
I'd be getting the cops involved- they said cars with aftermarket parts are kept inside- sounds like a routine thing. Yor car gets left outside, where the cameras cant see it and the tech 'forgot'the key? Wanna bet some friend of his scarpered with your gear?

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
my01glx said:
I'd be getting the cops involved- they said cars with aftermarket parts are kept inside- sounds like a routine thing. Yor car gets left outside, where the cameras cant see it and the tech 'forgot'the key? Wanna bet some friend of his scarpered with your gear?
Not necessarily true. I used to work for a dealer as a tech and sometimes I would leave the key in my toolbox by accident over the weekend. Doesn't mean I was going to steal stuff from the car. Stuff happens...the vandals were probably looking to steal some rims and came upon his car instead. Jumping to conclusions like the one you just did does nothing for our reputation as techs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts