NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple years, I try and do a neat little pre-Christmas gift idea for my family. The last two years, it was just as simple as taking all my Christmas CDs, picking my favorite songs, and making them a Misc Christmas CD.

This year, I decided to take it up a notch. I can't take credit for this idea, a buddy of mine made these last year. It's pretty simple. Just take a glass block, drill a hole in it, wrap it in ribbon, and fill it with Christmas lights.

So, I'll hand these out to my family on Thanksgiving. I hope they like them!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And some pics of them without the lights on (to give a little better view of the ribbons). :)

Attachments

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
Kudos to you----very cool gift idea, Pete. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PhoenixRising said:
Great idea! What kind of bit did you use? I want to do that.
It's a bit specifically for glass and tile. I asked someone at Home Depot, and they showed me the proper bits. The biggest one they had was 1/2". That's definitely big enough. But you have to make sure the light set you use doesn't have a connector at the end to allow plugging in another light set. The connector definitely wouldn't fit through the hole.

I think it took maybe a minute to get the hole drilled all the way through. Not bad at all!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Very neat, could you also slip some goodies to personalize them through the hole, or would the bulbs heat up too much? (Like small toy cars?)

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Those look really nice Pete! Those would look awesome under a tree! Outside or inside! :goodjob:

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
beej said:
Very neat, could you also slip some goodies to personalize them through the hole, or would the bulbs heat up too much? (Like small toy cars?)
Well, keep in mind, the hole is only 1/2". That was the biggest drill bit I could find. You could probably drill multiple holes to expand the size. Might be tough, but could be done.

With the 1/2" hole, even the mini lights didn't just slide right through. Between the cord and the bulb itself, I had to push those through the hole to get them through.

·
So over it!
8,050 Posts
Very good idea Pete! I just got a drill for my birthday, and I have only used it for little thing's.. No big projects. I will have to hit up home depot this weekend.
Thanks for Sharing.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh! One other thing. I first tried this with my cordless drill. Maybe the battery needed to be recharged, I dunno. It was able to make a dent in it, but was just taking forever. So I got my old corded drill, and that worked much better. Got the job done much quicker!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts