VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i recently bought a 00 Beetle to use as a competition car for some Car audio stuff. i'll start out with the current setup

Alpine IVA-310 (just gave it to my stepdad as a gift, my focus is more SQ then watching movies in my car)
JL 500/5
DLS Iridium 6.2's
1 12inch W6v2
No rear fill for sq reasons
Stinger HPM speaker wire and Monster Cable RCA's
108 Sq feet of dynamat xtream
Omni Fi DMP 1 MP3 player
and some other minor stuff...

My cars not to pretty right now, interior is completly ripped out and has been for two months now as im trying to manage a install while being in school full time and working almost full time. I've installed 72sq feet of dynamat so far (should be around 250-350 total sq feet of sound deadning, not just matting but also liquid as well), i'll be using 32 for my doors probably... havn't gotten that far because i've been making baffles due to mounthing depth... and RIVETS! ugh. Anyway soon i will be participating in SQ comps. im looking at having this installed next weekend, or so

There is still a long road ahead, i'll be installing an alpine 9835 with a H701 sound processor and RUX control unit. That will enable me to run a fully active front stage. i'll be using prototype speakers from a company named ology audio which is doing some amazing things with speaker technology (im sure you will be hearing of them within the next 5 years, in the high end market anyway). The speakers i will be using until then i will be using some DVC 6.5 drivers (which is an innovation in itself) and some morel tweets (possibly) everything will be powered by ZAPCO amps

Im also looking to participate in some SPL competitions... i will be running two or four orion 2500d amps (thats 2500 watts rms assuming i dont wire lower then one ohm, they're only stable to .5 ohm so there isn't too much headroom) That means i will be running 11,000 watts plus when you figure in the front stage! this also means i will probably be running dual 250 amp alts. As far as subs im looking at the new RE XXX's which are more for SQL (a mix of sq and spl)until i have the money to have my subs built for me. Theres actually alot of subs im looking at using... exciting stuff

just wanted to share my plans... answer any questions you guys have about my system. and offer a hand to anyone who has questions or needs help with car audio in general.

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha thanks, i currently live at the dorms so im having to drive to my friends house which is 3 hours away to get any work on it done. thats why its takin so long.

if you're ever in the area give me a hollar, i'll give you a listen and a handfull of uppers because kansas sucks.

p.s. im planning on hitting around 155db on a termlab with my spl setup

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SPIRU said:
Cool man, good luck and welcome to the org!

thank ya, im excited as well. i've thought of doing a vr6/awd swap so this should be a good start as far as research goes. any places i should look for info? thought about the hpa swap but if thats the only route i'll go ahead and get an s4

·
Registered
98 Posts
How big of an aftermarket alt. are you planning on getting??? With that much current draw the OEM alt. will have a real hard time keeping up. Also, I assume multiple batteries/capacitors as well??? Or are you going the BatCap route?
Just curious because I also was making plans like yourself for my Bug. I had a PowerAmper XP2 15" and a Concept 2400D that I was going to run until I started adding up how expensive it was going to get it up and running. With the amp bridged down to 1 ohm and the VC in parallel the sub was going to see ~2200 watts per VC. That alone was enough to cripple my stock alt. and you are going way beyond what I had planned.
Since I have explored other avenues and have picked up a sponsorship with Blaupunkt which may not win me any SQL comps. but it should be fun none the less :)
Keep us posted on your progress!!!!!!! I will be anxious to see how it all comes together.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
I currently have an 01 GLX and I have installed 2 RF 12" TS1s in a ported custom box being pushed by a bd1000Pro and RF FanQ 6.5 comps for front and rear with an added RF 4.5s in the dash to keep the 3 way up front (I had the monsoon system). I am using a Clarion VRX935VD for the headunit. I have a rebuilt 200amp alt sitting in my closet just waiting to be put on. I have not had a chance to meter my current setup yet but I know I am easily 145+db on the dash.

Good luck on your project!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good Luck ! Sounds like a sweet setup . Which org. are u gonna compete in ? USACi, MECA, IASCA, SLAP ??? ETC. Dont forget to make pics of everything !!! It will save you hassle and time later down the road .
Len

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
blaquea8 said:
How big of an aftermarket alt. are you planning on getting??? With that much current draw the OEM alt. will have a real hard time keeping up. Also, I assume multiple batteries/capacitors as well??? Or are you going the BatCap route?
Just curious because I also was making plans like yourself for my Bug. I had a PowerAmper XP2 15" and a Concept 2400D that I was going to run until I started adding up how expensive it was going to get it up and running. With the amp bridged down to 1 ohm and the VC in parallel the sub was going to see ~2200 watts per VC. That alone was enough to cripple my stock alt. and you are going way beyond what I had planned.
Since I have explored other avenues and have picked up a sponsorship with Blaupunkt which may not win me any SQL comps. but it should be fun none the less :)
Keep us posted on your progress!!!!!!! I will be anxious to see how it all comes together.
i'll start out with a 250 or 300amp alt, see how it takes it and very possibly upgrade to dual alts. the stock alt is a 90 amp IIRC... it should be alright for my 500 watt setup.

nbdude said:
what do you think you will hit with your stereo for decibels
Im hoping for around 155+ on a termlab. Termlabs are very accurate and because of that they give much lower readings then just about any other mic. Its going to take lots and lots of fintuning and rebuilding but it'll be worth it. As far as my SQ setup goes im looking for 130db at 20hz (below that is inaudible) im not sure if i'll hit that high, i dont really care that much either but its just a mark that i'd like to hit.

and as far as what org i will be competing in, as of now i do not know, most of them have so much drama and polotics so it really depends on what i want to deal with

EDIT: and yes, i will be running another battery. powercaps are one of the biggest jokes/scams in the car audio world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts