NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Built 4 Sin !
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife took my car last night to go to class. She went to adjust the Driver's Seat, and the cable broke. Does anyone know how to gain access to the underside of the seat so I can replace the cable set-up. I feel I'm a good wrencher, and would like to save some money, instead of taking it to the stealer! (oops, Dealer):rolleyes:

Thanks,

Niles in SoCal

P.S.
I wouldn't normally ask....but the manuals and the Vag-Coms are on their way, but I need this info now because I cannot drive the car!

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Quick Seat Removal (Try at your own risk, writer not liable for bad blinker fluid or tire coolant problems ;)):

1) Turn the headlights on
2) Remove the negative battery cable, set aside as to not touch body or other circuits
3) Remove seat track trim
4) (After 10-15 min. elapsed), unbolt front of seat (13mm nuts)
5) Wiggle & jiggle seat to free from main mounting point, slide backwards
6) With seat free, unplug the wiring
7) Carefully lift and remove seat from car

Installation is reverse of removal. Make sure to keep the key OUT of the ignition while the battery and airbags are disconnected, as to keep from throwing an airbag light on the cluster.

-Des

·
Built 4 Sin !
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Des...But......................

Do I use the key during any of this? Or is it as simple as hitting the alarm button, activate the the light switch with no key, undo the negative terminal...and got to town? I do see (2) 13mm nuts in the front.....but do I try tucking in the bolts that those bolt on to, and force the seat up and back. And do I leave the rear trailers in the track and just rotate the seat backwards?

Last thing.....why turn on the lights?

Sorry so many questions.....I'm a bit anal, and want to make sure I don't screw this up.

Thanks,

Niles in SoCal! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
Use they key to unlock the car thats it. As Des said, you will throw airbag lights if you have the key in while your messing with stuff.

As for the lights, beats me :confused:

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
That way you are left in the dark once the battery is disconnected.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I turn on the lights before I disconnect the battery, as at that point there is a system using power. I figure it'll help drain any residual within the system. Whether it works or not, I don't know, but I've done it like that three times and have had no airbag lights pop. :D

-Des

1 - 7 of 7 Posts