NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I first got my VW Beetle, the whole area where the dial is (1,2,3,4 dial that turns up or down the air, as well as the head/cold adjuster and air flow direction knob)

I just assumed that area didn't light up for whatever reason, although it made no sense to me.

But then one day, a few years ago, it came on!

The red light shined!

But then it went back on.
And I was able to get it back on if I hit the knob (assumingly wiggling the bulb inside and reconnecting it) - but then that stopped working

This entire time I assumed it was just a bad bulb, but now I purchased a set of 4 new bulbs online and I popped them in (one at a time, obviously..) and it just doesn't work..

The thing is, the other dash lights work. (Vent lights themselves, radio lights, etc) - so why won't this one?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would try a regular bulb instead of an led. It will only cost less than 5 bucks at an autozone to know. LEDs have been known to be finicky in certain applications but that might not be your problem that you're seeing. That's the first thing I'd try. I new normal bulb.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Auto parts stores have the bulb. Use a regular bulb like cha2ga said, it will last you a long time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
been a long time and was about to come here and ask a question about this when I realized that I started a thread about it long ago.

What is the size of the HVAC bulb? Researched forever and cannot seem to find a size.. only the cross reference part number.

Went to Advanced Auto Parts today and they have nothing in their system about this, but do have plenty of lights that look like it may fit.. (74LL?)

Anyone have any idea?

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Red99 is right. Cheap and easy to fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts