NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the last week of July my wife bought me a 2001 NB 1.8T. This was to be a daily driver as my Explorer was to be given to our twin daughters (with new licenses in Feb. this year) for their use and as better protection from other vehicles than a sedan can provide.
So far I enjoy what will be a nice car once I de-bug the bug.

Pro's:

Handles like it's on rails, has 17" Nittos on right now, via the last owner.
Gets OK mileage, has the dreaded CEL on so it is running closed loop at the moment. I have the codes, (they're out in the car in the parking lot), seems to me it is either a vacuum leak or something similar. Does 25 mpg with AC on and recently is 27+ with AC off. I'll update with exact codes later.
Has what I consider lower miles, 132K for a car that is over 12 years old.
Looks pretty good, will also put up pictures a bit later.

Cons:

Was sold as is, which I know what that means, I get all the broken pieces and I find new ones most everyday.
Last owner either 1. failed to completely disclose all known issues or 2. didn't know about them, I'm thinking it's #1.
Car has been completely repainted, wish I had looked closer when inspecting. There are so many little issues, i.e. missing trim parts, seatbelt light on, CEL came on during drive home the night we bought car, broken plastic parts all over the place. Also previous owner claimed he would get car detailed, never did and I discovered the residue from kids spilling soda all over the back seat, floor and rear of front seats.

Overall it is like most used cars that have been owned by 2 or more individuals and needs some OCD stricken clown like myself to make it better than new again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like a typical used nB to me. Mine had quite a few issues when I bought it all minor fortunately. They just require a little love patience and money to get back to glory. Post up your specific codes and Im sure the kind folks here can help. All your bugs issues sound fairly minor. Glad to see another bug get a new lease on life. When t comes to owning a NB... OCD is probably a good thing since they do require a bit more attention than other cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts