NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retro/Techno
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's so simple!

Apple Onion Kielbasa

1lb Kielbasa or smoked sausage (I use turkey sausage to cut way down on fat)
2 Red Delicious or similar sweet (not tart) FIRM apples, sliced into thinnish wedges
1/2 of a sweet onion (Vidalia or white), sliced into half rings
1/2 cup of water

In a large pan, bring the water to a boil, reduce heat to Medium.
Add the apple and onion slices.
Simmer for a bit (about 5 minutes) turning at least twice, onion should become tender, apples should still be firm on the inside but slightly tender on the outside.
Add the kielbasa/sausage. Simmer covered for about 15 minutes. Once again, the inside of the apples should still be firm, not soggy. You want to add some water if much of it has simmered away.

Serve over rice (I prefer brown rice as it is more 'healthy' but use whatever you've got. Some friends put it over Cous Cous). Make sure to spoon some of the "broth" created over the rice.

Delicious!

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I'm defrosting some meat tonight! This sounds good. Which would be better? The keilbasa or sausage? I have both (sweet italian susage and a beef keilbasa). Mix and match?

Let me know. I love sweet/savory combo deals. It was like the first time i had A turkey with stuffing and gravy, but the stuffing had raisins in it. It was fantastic.

John

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
silverspeedbuggy said:
I'd suggest the beef sausage, especially if it's smoked. Sweet Italian sausage won't compliment/contrast with the apples enough, me thinks!

Good luck! Let me know what you think!
I was thinking the beef kielbasa would work best as well. It is smoked. I can kinda imagine what it'll tast like since i'm eating a nice fat braeburn apple right now.

Can't wait. Full report upon completion.
john

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Okay so i tried the beef keilbasa and used a couple granny smiths and did the cous cous method. I have to say it was quite delicious. The sweet with the savory and just a hint of tartness from the apple was nice. This is a lazy dish. It takes zero skill, but is yummy and filling.

Give it a shot everyone.
john

·
Oh noooooooo!
1,052 Posts
That apple keilbasa does sound really good. I'm going to try it later this week.:D As for my favorite fall meal, it would have to be my mom's homemade potato soup and bread(also homemade). This recipe has been in my family forever, it was my great-grandmother's.:) There's nothing like eating a big bowl of this soup after coming inside from a cold, rainy day. I will be sure to get the recipe from my mom later and post it.

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
silverspeedbuggy said:
It's so simple!

Apple Onion Kielbasa

1lb Kielbasa or smoked sausage (I use turkey sausage to cut way down on fat)
2 Red Delicious or similar sweet (not tart) FIRM apples, sliced into thinnish wedges
1/2 of a sweet onion (Vidalia or white), sliced into half rings
1/2 cup of water

In a large pan, bring the water to a boil, reduce heat to Medium.
Add the apple and onion slices.
Simmer for a bit (about 5 minutes) turning at least twice, onion should become tender, apples should still be firm on the inside but slightly tender on the outside.
Add the kielbasa/sausage. Simmer covered for about 15 minutes. Once again, the inside of the apples should still be firm, not soggy. You want to add some water if much of it has simmered away.

Serve over rice (I prefer brown rice as it is more 'healthy' but use whatever you've got. Some friends put it over Cous Cous). Make sure to spoon some of the "broth" created over the rice.

Delicious!

Wow, I just made this dish. YUMMY! Thanks for sharing!

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
PhoenixRising said:
Wow, I just made this dish. YUMMY! Thanks for sharing!
I might try it again tonight with some sweet pork sausage. Not sure. I might just grill em up and munch em with veggies.

let you kids know if i do.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
I found turkey sausage that has little bits of apple in it and its delicious. I bet that would taste really good with this recipe! Would that be too much apple ya think? The apple in the sausage isnt over powering. Its very subtle.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
I found turkey sausage that has little bits of apple in it and its delicious. I bet that would taste really good with this recipe! Would that be too much apple ya think? The apple in the sausage isnt over powering. Its very subtle.
I totally forgot to make this. I had all the ingredients too. Darn. Ended up making sausage patties with pepper/onions and couscous and it was just as yummy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts