VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this forum and this is my first post.

We just bought our first beetle, a 2000 silver 1.8T with only 18K miles on it. I have two immediate concerns that hopefully someone can shed some light on:

1) The headrests seem terribly uncomfortable. I've tried pushing them all the way down, but the base of the headreast still sits about 3-4 inches from the top of the seat. Is your head suppost to fit into the center cut-out area? How do you other Bettle owners deal with the headrests?

2) This 2000 Beetle has a black rubber-type of coating around the interior door handles, the radio and dash controls, and on top of the dash. The problem is that this rubbery material is scratched up and has become sticky to the touch. Is there a way to clean this, or remove it, or replace it?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
dyturbo said:
1) The headrests seem terribly uncomfortable. I've tried pushing them all the way down, but the base of the headreast still sits about 3-4 inches from the top of the seat. Is your head suppost to fit into the center cut-out area? How do you other Bettle owners deal with the headrests?
This is because they are not headrests, but headrestraints. As restraints, they do a damn good job. The 2000 model received a different style halfway through the year, and they don't go all the way down, really. This is due to the extra length on the bottom of the posts (which can be hacksawed off to get the restraints to sit flush).

VW changed to brick-style headrests in the 2002 model year for... comfort reasons. ;) They do the job decently well, but the active units in the 2004+ models, personally, are the best. They sit close enough to the head, and are quite comfy. My NBs have all three variants of rest/restraints.

dyturbo said:
2) This 2000 Beetle has a black rubber-type of coating around the interior door handles, the radio and dash controls, and on top of the dash. The problem is that this rubbery material is scratched up and has become sticky to the touch. Is there a way to clean this, or remove it, or replace it?

Thanks for your help.
It gets sticky due to age. My '00 is like that, though not really scratched. You can strip the rubber off, or repaint it in a nice matte black. Possibly even find nice used parts on eBay or in salvage to replace them with. Even the rubberized finish on my brother's 92 Corvette is like that, but far worse than the '00 is. :cool:

-Des

1 - 4 of 4 Posts