NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bug was a whole lot of fun, but good Lord I dumped a whole lot of money into fixing and upgrading that little yellow so-n'-so! Nonetheless, she was a beauty and I sure had a lot of fun with the people who would come up to talk to me. I got peace signs going down the freeway, people would come over to look and share stories when I was pumping gas, I really liked that part of it.

She was the 1967 model with a 1776 engine, dropped but not chopped, three-stage custom pearl yellow paint that looked amazing in the sunshine and a whole lot of this and that. The former owner had replaced the stock tail lights with the tail lights from an old Impala, and modified the rear fenders to accomodate them. I have no idea why.

There were a lot of good points to having an old bug, but I'm liking the safety features of the new Beetle. This car moved on to a new owner a few years ago.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the color was one of a kind. When I bought the car it had come from a guy who had worked for a body shop and he had designed the color. It was a little lighter and more of a "baby chick" yellow. Then I hit a deer which dented the front hood, and since it was three stage pearl there was no way to match it.

So I bit the bullet and redid the paint at the cost of about three grand, going with the slightly richer, deeper yellow that you see here. This is a Ford Mustang yellow, with pearl, then clear coat. The guys in the paint shop liked it so much that they gave it a name: "Columbian Gold" LOL!

If you want the specifics on the paint I can refer you to the shop that did the work. I have never seen this paint on another car and it was a real head-turner. Someday when I'm rich and famous I'll do my Lamborghini in that color. ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts